Save Our Safeways!

Busby

Don't know about you but I miss the deals you used to get in Safeway's - when a price reduction was a real price reduction not kidology...

No silly card where you can claim 'savings' - just good, honest deals... It makes shopping enjoyable!

Many people have missed the fact that there is still a Safeway/Morison's on the Island - in Ramsey. You can still get some good deals, although they sell out quickly and the staff tell me they are mad busy.

I know its only a matter of time before they pull the plug on such a small store and, sadly it will leave Shoprite and Tesco to live comfortably ever after....

In the mean time, support this small outpost of one of the countries largest food retailers. Who knows, they may change their mind about leaving the Island!

We have been trying our best not to use the supermarkets at all.

Lots of the farmers will sell vegetables to you and we have been doing that ..calling on them .. couldnt have done that in London could I ??

OK there isnt a lot of choice but what we have bought tastes so much better than the supermarket stock.

We have also found an elderly man who grows a lot of fresh veg and if he has enough he also sells to us ..and other people.

Local butcher gets our meat order and he is so helpful ..I dont think I will ever buy meat from a supermarket again !

I would say it isnt possible to entirely cut out the supermarkets ... especially for things such as nappies etc .. but to be honest .. one store is much the same as another

Many people have missed the fact that there is still a Safeway/Morison's on the Island - in Ramsey. You can still get some good deals, although they sell out quickly and the staff tell me they are mad busy.

If they are selling out quickly and the staff say they are mad busy - I guess that they are being supported.

Don't know about you but I miss the deals you used to get in Safeway's - when a price reduction was a real price reduction not kidology...

No silly card where you can claim 'savings' - just good, honest deals... It makes shopping enjoyable!

I know its only a matter of time before they pull the plug on such a small store and, sadly it will leave Shoprite and Tesco to live comfortably ever after....

In the mean time, support this small outpost of one of the countries largest food retailers. Who knows, they may change their mind about leaving the Island!

What's so bad about Tesco's? It's a class act and puts Shoprite to shame. Only downside is that it's in Douglas, not Ramsey.

Here as in most of the UK farmers run ‘box schemes’ whereby they deliver a box of produce in season on a regular basis and at a fixed price. Here’s a URL that sets it out –

http://www.eostreorganics.co.uk/boxes_norfolk.htm

If there’s no farmers providing such a service on the Island then they’re missing out on a growing market and the public are missing out on getting access to very good fresh food.

OK, you can at times end up with the odd thing that you don’t like and our local guy knows for example that we don’t eat kale and so substitutes something else but all in all it’s brilliant. He gets a regular and predictable market, we get fresh and very good produce. It’s a win – win situation.

(BTW. We've found that cooked meats from our local Morisison's 'go off' very quickly and so we very seldom shop there.)

Silly spelling error removed

What's so bad about Tesco's?

Douglas Tesco is far and away the worst Tesco I've set foot in. It's has a very poor range of products, the state of the shop is very poor with empty shelves and rubbish littering the isles and the quality of the fresh produce is poor.

Add to that the home delivery service is also very poor, the substituted items are too frequent and always a poor choice and I've yet to place an order that didn't have something missing.

I've always found Tesco across an excellent store and the home delivery is a god send sometimes. On the Isle of Man it's a joke.

It's a while since I was on the island - what happened to Morrisons on Chester Street?

It has become a lovely shoprite owned store called food 4 less. Kind of like netto accross but lower quality

What's so bad about Tesco's?

Douglas Tesco is far and away the worst Tesco I've set foot in. It's has a very poor range of products, the state of the shop is very poor with empty shelves and rubbish littering the isles and the quality of the fresh produce is poor.

Add to that the home delivery service is also very poor, the substituted items are too frequent and always a poor choice and I've yet to place an order that didn't have something missing.

I've always found Tesco across an excellent store and the home delivery is a god send sometimes. On the Isle of Man it's a joke.

Totally agree. Its quite possibly the most expensive Tesco in the UK as well. I was in the City of London next to the Stock Exchange in their Express store a month ago. I was able to buy a sandwich, crisps and fruit for under £2.20 each day ! You wont manage that in the IOM store. All their products here are so over-priced. Their other stores have "own brand" range of food or will also sell electrical goods.

• 4 weeks later...

From http://www.manxradio.com/

Manx Co-op is set to acquire the Safeway supermarket in Ramsey for an undisclosed sum.

The consumer owned retailer has exchanged contracts to buy the Ramsey Safeway from Morrisons and expects to take ownership within two months, subject to the transfer of the alcohol licence and to landlord’s approval.

All 88 staff will be offered the opportunity of transferring their employment to the Co-op.

The Co-op will continue to operate its Welcome convenience store nearby.

From http://www.manxradio.com/

Manx Co-op is set to acquire the Safeway supermarket in Ramsey for an undisclosed sum.

The consumer owned retailer has exchanged contracts to buy the Ramsey Safeway from Morrisons and expects to take ownership within two months, subject to the transfer of the alcohol licence and to landlord’s approval.

All 88 staff will be offered the opportunity of transferring their employment to the Co-op.

The Co-op will continue to operate its Welcome convenience store nearby.

Good quality products as a rule, and fairly reasonable prices. It's just a shame they didn't go for the Safeway/Morrison store in Douglas.

I like the Co-op ethic, but cannot shake off the event (20 or more years ago, before BBefore etc dates) when I bought meat pie from the shop in Duke Street to find it rancid- it was almost fizzing! I took it back and just got a shrug! As a food retailer, I have never been able to take the Co-op seriously since, although I have been at a number of their excellent conferences on the third economy etc (predominantly headed by their banking side) in my previous employment.

That would never have happened at Cannells!

It's just a shame they didn't go for the Safeway/Morrison store in Douglas.

I'd give it a while. Food 4 Less is making a massive loss supposedly and i can see Shoprite trying to get rid of it in the next few years, i'm sure the Co-Op would fancy taking it of their hands for much less than they would have had to pay Morrisons.

Archived