Manx footballers racially abused.

hissingsid

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Interestingly, have you noticed that Shakespeares "Merchant of Venice" hasn't been "cancelled" despite it giving a very stereotypical and anti-Semitic?  That text was actually on the reading list during my time at high school and we never discussed anti-Semitism when reviewing it.

Merchant of Venice was on our reading list too, mid 70s, but I do recall quite a bit of analysis of the "Hath not a Jew eyes" soliloquy. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve never understood the adulation afforded to Shakespeare, even having had to study Richard III as part of my school curriculum. He may have been OK in his time but literature moves on.

Even worse was having to read and re read “Lord of the Flies”by William Golding and analyse it paragraph by paragraph. Just a shit book really.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Haha 2

On 11/19/2021 at 3:52 PM, offshoremanxman said:

I still remember when giving money to the Spastics Society was a thing. 

171E6059-B805-4C3D-92EC-AF7DF97C473E.jpeg

Yes I remember there were three foot high models of a poor lad wearing calipers. In shopping centers and the like.

And there was an opening somewhere in the model ( On his head, outstretched box or somewhere) into which you could deposit coins.

On 11/19/2021 at 4:02 PM, Lost Login said:

I would like to think that I am not racist and certainly I would not abuse somebody because of there race, dislike them or treat them any differently but, and it is difficult to admit, I certainly do have pre-conceived views about certain races, nationalities etc which ideally I should not have.   

You know what. 
Maybe it’s time to stop all this hand wringing and beating yourself up about this.  Can you detail the pre conceived views you have about certain races, nationalities, which ideally you should not have? I’d be interested 

I know I am not racist, homophobic or misogynistic and I don’t have any pre conceived ideas about race, sexuality or gender. 

( I can’t abide the arrogance of some of the white South Africans I have met but that’s not pre conceived, its based on experience and the sample is small)

Yes I think about these things in my own mind why people do have such views but that’s all.