Battery Pier Incident

Amadeus

2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

The police are already doing something about it, as are others. I'm looking into finding a better place for people to hang out and maybe make it a bit more organized and nicer than a cold car park near the harbour. Not that easy though. I've out it on the committee agenda. Let's see, maybe we can do something. 

Police do go down most nights, it doesn’t stop the anti social driving/behaviour, they dick about until the cops show up, then they’ll be quiet for an hour or two. Its not just as simple as a place to hang out though, you can hear them regularly ragging cars back and forth, so you aren’t just looking for a nice car park with facilities, you also need to find a road nearby without neighbours to annoy and with little risk of them injuring anyone, that’s probably why you’re struggling to find somewhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The police will be doing something about it now, now that the publicity will be embarrassing. You’re right it’s been going on for at least the last 5 years. 

I’m sure the DOI Vehicle Testing Team will be over that car like a rash - was it fit for winter?

25 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Police do go down most nights, it doesn’t stop the anti social driving/behaviour, they dick about until the cops show up, then they’ll be quiet for an hour or two. Its not just as simple as a place to hang out though, you can hear them regularly ragging cars back and forth, so you aren’t just looking for a nice car park with facilities, you also need to find a road nearby without neighbours to annoy and with little risk of them injuring anyone, that’s probably why you’re struggling to find somewhere.

You're not wrong. Then there's various group dynamics and people not necessarily wanting to hang out together and you have quite a challenge. 

They'd have to check the car over to make sure there wasn't anybody still in it. Look at the turnout and effort on show here though; everyone on a nice little earner too. It shows it can be done if the will is there. Should've got these boys and their kit on the promenade. The job would've been finished years ago.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

They'd have to check the car over to make sure there wasn't anybody still in it. Look at the turnout and effort on show here though; everyone on a nice little earner too. It shows it can be done if the will is there. Should've got these boys and their kit on the promenade. The job would've been finished years ago.

Yep, that was my first thought as well. You couldn't necessarily go by the driver's claim of being alone after being in a traumatic event where a head injury was possible. Better safe than sorry and all that.

They'd have to get a diver out to check, possibly two, so they may as well attach the lifting straps while they were down there and get it over with, rather than incurring a second call-out charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

17 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Yep, that was my first thought as well. You couldn't necessarily go by the driver's claim of being alone after being in a traumatic event where a head injury was possible. Better safe than sorry and all that.

They'd have to get a diver out to check, possibly two, so they may as well attach the lifting straps while they were down there and get it over with, rather than incurring a second call-out charge.

If you look at photos elsewhere it went in at low tide and was not submerged. It was able to be checked for occupants, lifting straps attached,  without any divers or complexities.

Tide came in as they were preparing to lift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If you look at photos elsewhere it went in at low tide and was not submerged. It was able to be checked for occupants, lifting straps attached,  without any divers or complexities.

Tide came in as they were preparing to lift.

Didn't know that as I've only seen the photos in this thread. Where are the earlier photos?