Battery Pier Incident

Amadeus

18 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I think they do, sometimes the response to a relatively minor incident can seem way over the top and I’ve often wondered if that’s because they treat it as the potentially major incident that it could’ve been instead.

Because it's the only time they get to play with all the toy's?

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Exactly. 

There’s little point in being trained in emergency response if there are no emergencies to respond to.

An event like this will also give them the opportunity to reflect on what went well and what didn’t. 

I’ve just read through this whole thread and there aren’t half some negative nasty crabby traits on display. Take a look at yourselves would you. 

Plenty of crabs off the Battery Pier and Lobsters too. 

I wasn’t bothered too much about the use of equipment and the emergency services attendance. I would hope that the taxpayers will be recompensed by the driver of the vehicle, through their insurance. That’s provided they are insured. I do have a feeling that the taxpayer will have something to pay. It’s becoming a problem now, like cars going off Marine Drive.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Plenty of crabs off the Battery Pier and Lobsters too. 

I wasn’t bothered too much about the use of equipment and the emergency services attendance. I would hope that the taxpayers will be recompensed by the driver of the vehicle, through their insurance. That’s provided they are insured. I do have a feeling that the taxpayer will have something to pay. It’s becoming a problem now, like cars going off Marine Drive.

What is becoming a problem, cars going into the harbour?

There will always be incidents where cars leave the road.  We have to have the services trained and able to respond to deal with them.

Not sure quite where the issue is tbh. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

Really John, I don't recall that one, was he driving?  

Yes. Probably 50 years ago.

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

He was entertaining a lady at the time if I recall.

I don’t think so. His wife would have scared even him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Exactly. 

There’s little point in being trained in emergency response if there are no emergencies to respond to.

An event like this will also give them the opportunity to reflect on what went well and what didn’t. 

I’ve just read through this whole thread and there aren’t half some negative nasty crabby traits on display. Take a look at yourselves would you. 

Yes but you don’t want to encourage nuclear weapons being released all over the world as an opportunity to test your response.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

What is becoming a problem, cars going into the harbour?

There will always be incidents where cars leave the road.  We have to have the services trained and able to respond to deal with them.

Not sure quite where the issue is tbh. 

The issue is people have been sitting and waiting for an incident to happen like this for the past few years, mostly due to regular weekend/late evening ASBO type driving this area attracts, so that might at least explain some of the crabby responses. It was also a lot of resources used for something that was completely unavoidable, the punishment won’t fit the crime either, will be lucky if they get an 18 month ban, a £500 fine and a few points on their licence.

54 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

The issue is people have been sitting and waiting for an incident to happen like this for the past few years, mostly due to regular weekend/late evening ASBO type driving this area attracts, so that might at least explain some of the crabby responses. It was also a lot of resources used for something that was completely unavoidable, the punishment won’t fit the crime either, will be lucky if they get an 18 month ban, a £500 fine and a few points on their licence.

It was more the crabby comments about the various emergency services turning out, using all their toys, overtime rates, and so on, tbh.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

It was more the crabby comments about the various emergency services turning out, using all their toys, overtime rates, and so on, tbh.  

Is that crabby or just plain daft?, in that sort of field there is never enough training and they will never stop learning from the new situations that arise. I did see a few comments suggesting it could have been left till Monday but this would have also been treated as an environmental hazard, sooner it’s out the water the less risk involved.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Is that crabby or just plain daft?, in that sort of field there is never enough training and they will never stop learning from the new situations that arise. I did see a few comments suggesting it could have been left till Monday but this would have also been treated as an environmental hazard, sooner it’s out the water the less risk involved.

It's amazing how many people are experts despite never having actually been in that situation

A few seem to be getting hot and bothered about this one, and they're demanding Government "do something" about it. 

Is this any different from motorcyclists getting themselves into shit out on the TT course at Government sanctioned events (on closed and open roads), I mean I know there isn't half a million quids worth of salaries going to the CS from these people - but it's no different otherwise. 

• Like 1