Battery Pier Incident

Amadeus

35 minutes ago, Trackman said:

Surely the driver will be sent a very detailed and large bill for the recovery of the car from the harbour. Hopefully he/she will have sufficient insurance cover to pay it. The taxpayer may well make a profit.

Seeing as that never happens to anyone else I doubt they will

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trackman said:

Surely the driver will be sent a very detailed and large bill for the recovery of the car from the harbour. Hopefully he/she will have sufficient insurance cover to pay it. The taxpayer may well make a profit.

When government trot out the costs of dealing with accidents and incidents it always makes me chuckle. All the staff and equipment are already paid for, even if nothing ever happens! What would they be doing otherwise?

They put all the costs of 'hire' of the various pieces of equipment and the hours of the people attending together and come up with a ridiculous sum! 

Admittedly there may be call out charges for a few volunteers or people on standby, that is mostly the only additional cost to what we already bear, and as has already been said, a good training exercise, practice makes perfect! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Gladys said:

It was more the crabby comments about the various emergency services turning out, using all their toys, overtime rates, and so on, tbh.  

I half agree Gladys but it also reminds me of the Island's 'Trumpton' culture. An unchanging hierarchy rules over a traditional village community of cap doffers and happy passive workers. Once a week there's a band concert and every time there's a bit of an emergency the Trumpton Fire Brigade have a full call out. Order and civil harmony is thus restored and everything goes back to sleep.  

• Like 5

On 11/22/2021 at 11:12 AM, doc.fixit said:

I would hope that the experience would deter them from driving crazily again?

Probably not.

I was told by a reliable source that it was a young female driver on R plates, apparently the incident occurred at excessive speed. You would have thought that charges or a court appearance would have been forthcoming. Unless it’s being covered up?

On 11/22/2021 at 12:41 PM, Shake me up Judy said:

I half agree Gladys but it also reminds me of the Island's 'Trumpton' culture. An unchanging hierarchy rules over a traditional village community of cap doffers and happy passive workers. Once a week there's a band concert and every time there's a bit of an emergency the Trumpton Fire Brigade have a full call out. Order and civil harmony is thus restored and everything goes back to sleep.  

Some probably forelock tug to their new MHKs. I’m sure there are some MF posters that do that, in deference. Yes Chief Minister, Yes Minister, Yes Mr Callister.

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Probably not.

I was told by a reliable source that it was a young female driver on R plates, apparently the incident occurred at excessive speed. You would have thought that charges or a court appearance would have been forthcoming. Unless it’s being covered up?

I've nearly been taken out by the boy/girl racers down there - they fly up and down, handbrake turns etc. Police appear, all stop - what can they do other than have a word as no crime is being committed.

In this case I would hope a careless/reckless/dangerous driving charge would be on the cards. What would have happened if there was someone on a boat below and the car had landed on them? A cyclist/jogger/walker going past unnoticed getting hit? Doesn't bear thinking about really. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I've nearly been taken out by the boy/girl racers down there - they fly up and down, handbrake turns etc. Police appear, all stop - what can they do other than have a word as no crime is being committed.

In this case I would hope a careless/reckless/dangerous driving charge would be on the cards. What would have happened if there was someone on a boat below and the car had landed on them? A cyclist/jogger/walker going past unnoticed getting hit? Doesn't bear thinking about really. 

Why don't the police parked an unmarked van down there and video them. Then arrest them. Then charge them. Is that too simple to understand. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Why don't the police parked an unmarked van down there and video them. Then arrest them. Then charge them. Is that too simple to understand. 

Even simpler is to put a barrier in, with entry by key fob. It will prevent access by the boy/girl racers. 

I really get the impression that there is a cover up. Stupid really, surely not a smack on the wrist? 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a taken without the owners consent, and it overturned outside Bordellos early in the morning. So far no arrests, no doubt an appeal witnesses will be made just before Christmas, or after. It’s telling really as their must be loads of CCTV and cameras in that area. Manx Radio/DOI webcam is pointed in the direction of the Jubilee Clock. 

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

There was a taken without the owners consent, and it overturned outside Bordellos early in the morning. So far no arrests, no doubt an appeal witnesses will be made just before Christmas, or after. It’s telling really as their must be loads of CCTV and cameras in that area. Manx Radio/DOI webcam is pointed in the direction of the Jubilee Clock. 

What’s this got to do with battery pier incident?

On 11/22/2021 at 7:47 AM, Annoymouse said:

Is that crabby or just plain daft?, in that sort of field there is never enough training and they will never stop learning from the new situations that arise. I did see a few comments suggesting it could have been left till Monday but this would have also been treated as an environmental hazard, sooner it’s out the water the less risk involved.

I'd also imagine preserving evidence as to the conditon of the vehicle. Could have been a mechanical failure of the vehicle, or claimed to be. I'm sure we'll get the story in the end. They survived which is the main thing.