Gas deposit

hissingsid

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

They'd only be short term solutions, what if the wind don't blow or the sun don't shine for several weeks?

If the sun stops shining we have other issues to deal with, mainly we'll all be dead.

The sun always shines, there's always wind.

3 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

If the sun stops shining we have other issues to deal with, mainly we'll all be dead.

The sun always shines, there's always wind.

The sun doesn't always shine, overcast days have a massive impact on solar output and contrary to popular belief the wind doesn't always blow even on the IOM!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

As a nation we've been all too ready to compromise our moral fortitude in the name of making a quick buck.

We have a tax system which is unfair to most of our own residents and which encourages the benefits of genuine economic activity in other (often poor) countries to be diverted through here. Giving Lewis Hamilton a £3M vat rebate on his private jet for example, while allowing our own people to rely on food banks.

We bend over backwards to every whim of International gambling companies which encourage vulnerable people the world over to get into crippling debt.

Perhaps for once we should do the right thing. Perhaps we should think of the rest of the world, or of future generations. It's not their fault we've been Jurassic in our move to renewable energy. It's not their fault we've wasted long millions on numerous ill-conceived capital projects, or paying the UK to defend us from imaginary enemies.

Leave the gas in the ground.

Moral fortitude ain't going to boil the kettle, chum.  This is an opportunity to have the funds, and breathing space, to put in place alternatives.  

If the gas was turned off tomorrow, what would you do?  I am really interested in how you think people would cope or, more particularly, how you would. 

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

The sun doesn't always shine, overcast days have a massive impact on solar output and contrary to popular belief the wind doesn't always blow even on the IOM!

Massive - no, maybe 25%, lots of data online. As for wind - again an amazing amount of info is online. I have wind turbines near me, even when it appears to be calm they're still turning.

I'm a fan of nuclear as a backup.

• Like 2

Just now, GD4ELI said:

Massive - no, maybe 25%, lots of data online. As for wind - again an amazing amount of info is online. I have wind turbines near me, even when it appears to be calm they're still turning.

I'm a fan of nuclear as a backup.

I'll agree on the nuclear bit as no matter what people think we'll always need a backup that can handle a full load situation.

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Moral fortitude ain't going to boil the kettle, chum.  This is an opportunity to have the funds, and breathing space, to put in place alternatives.  

If the gas was turned off tomorrow, what would you do?  I am really interested in how you think people would cope or, more particularly, how you would. 

Depending on the house, heat pumps.

How did my mother cope when I was small (early 60's) - one coal fire and decent warm clothes. Maybe an electric fire at times.

2 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Depending on the house, heat pumps.

How did my mother cope when I was small (early 60's) - one coal fire and decent warm clothes. Maybe an electric fire at times.

Let's bring back rickets as well.

ETA good luck with getting people to embrace turning back the clock on technology etc.

Edited by finlo
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Coal and electricity,  you miss the point.

Not really - we were heating one small room, unlike today when people heat the whole house.

Heat pumps really work, house has to be well insulated though.

Just now, GD4ELI said:

Not really - we were heating one small room, unlike today when people heat the whole house.

Heat pumps really work, house has to be well insulated though.

Not with our electricity prices they don't and with the UK'S imminent price rises they'll not be viable there also.

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

Not with our electricity prices they don't and with the UK'S imminent price rises they'll not be viable there also.

Not quite true, also you can power your heat pump from solar 24 x 7.