Gas deposit

hissingsid

49 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Apparently Ireland is being forced to close its coal powered power plant and is building new gas ones instead (hence the Crogga plan to supply mainly to ROI). Crogga and an engineer pal (who knows the Pulrose plant) tell me our power station could run well beyond its 2031 'end of life' date if required and overhauls are costed in. Natural gas has a bright if limited future, so if we have any of our own we should be exploiting it now, not listening to the vociferous green lobby.

Whats all this an MHK talking sense , !    keep going Stu  you just need to convince some of the nutters we have recently  elected into Tynwald , the whole world as we know it has changed , and the rest of the world does not owe us a living ,  we must look after the Islands best interests first ,even if it means spending our money wisely and carefully for once  and not trying to the the world leaders in reducing global warming !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, winnie said:

The Times reporting  Johnson is to announce plans to exploit new areas of the North Sea for oil and gas reserves for the first time in three years amid spiralling energy prices

No excuse to not move forward with the gas exploration in Manx waters.

Get it sorted now.

Daphne won’t like it!!

6 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Why not explore the nuclear reactors that Rolls Royce have developed?  They fit in a shipping container and could prove a real alternative to huge power stations.

The Small Modular Reactor. It would generate more electric than we need for fun. We should get one. Bit bigger than just a shipping container though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Why not explore the nuclear reactors that Rolls Royce have developed?  They fit in a shipping container and could prove a real alternative to huge power stations.

Have you ever watched The Simpsons?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

8 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The Small Modular Reactor. It would generate more electric than we need for fun. We should get one. Bit bigger than just a shipping container though.

Whilst I don't disagree that this is an option, and certainly more of an option than such thing was 30 years ago I think it would be an incredibly expensive and complex option. 

Yes talk of shipping containers is IMO a little bit silly. Anything that would fit in a shipping container is going to be fit for about 5 houses.

Nuclear reactors produce heat. Nothing more. You still have the complexity of turning that heat into electricity.  That requires pumps that cool the reactor and turbines to change the heat into power. Add to that control systems, transformers etc and you would soon be over £100M. 

It shouldn't be off the table but let's not be glibly throwing on misleading information.

54 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I should have been clearer.   The reactor fits on the back of a lorry but you do need other bits.  

Info here https://www.rolls-royce.com/innovation/small-modular-reactors.aspx#/

That's more like it. Yes that looks really exciting. I reckon you would still be looking at over £100M but as an investment what a brilliant thing it would be.

For me I still can't understand why we don't have couple of wind turbines on Douglas head and one on peel Hill. £/mw you can't beat wind power. Yes it's not windy all the time, but it's windy most of the time.

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's more like it. Yes that looks really exciting. I reckon you would still be looking at over £100M but as an investment what a brilliant thing it would be.

For me I still can't understand why we don't have couple of wind turbines on Douglas head and one on peel Hill. £/mw you can't beat wind power. Yes it's not windy all the time, but it's windy most of the time.

Maybe the MEA debt goes some way to explaining this ?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, asitis said:

Maybe the MEA debt goes some way to explaining this ?

Its never been in the MEA's interest to develop renewables. They have enough on paying of the debt they have. Government need to make this investment and I just hope that the £42M is put to proper use in developing actual schemes that deliver actual power. Just today in PMQ they are bemoaning the fact that they should have more onshore wind-farms (and they have the most wind power in the world) and here we sit with SFA in probably one of the windiest spots in the British Isles.

@Stu Peters STU - Its never too late

• Like 1
  • Haha 1