Gas deposit

hissingsid

2 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I expect (but don't know) that Crogga will have had to tick every possible box to be granted this licence. And it's not like the IOM will become a rogue state by exploiting its own gas reserves (everyone around us is doing the same), or be a trailblazer of new technologies. If there are reserves there as expected it will put billions into the Manx economy and provide affordable gas and electricity for years - at a time when people are contemplating a pretty cold winter. Of course it will take time to get onstream, which is why I think any obstacles should be removed to expedite matters, but the sooner the better for Manx consumers.

If it's as good as people think it is then why haven't the big boys been all over it

9 hours ago, Passing Time said:

If it's as good as people think it is then why haven't the big boys been all over it

My understanding is that BP were looking for oil before gas became so valuable, and at the time there wasn't enough oil to excite them.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Since it's costing the taxpayer nothing (zero, nada, zilch) to find out, there's absolutely nothing to stop a renewables firm setting up a couple of windmills. I'd probably even vote for some of this year's £42m 'climate emergency' funding to be diverted to something properly useful like that.

One of the reasons it's taking time to progress this (apart from Covid stalling work for the last 2 years) is that officers have insisted Crogga only surveys during winter months (possibly to appease a couple of fishermen and eel grass enthusiasts). Remove that restriction and things could happen sooner. Crogga said at the PAG meeting that the first time they hit gas they can be extracting it, so again I think your timescale is overly pessimistic.

I believe crogga are undertaking seismic testing. 

I terms of commitment to the environment, their website seems to be heavy on the benefits of natural gas and light on what effect testing and extraction will have.

Are they scanning the area to be tested for the presence of large marine mammals?

Are they carrying out a soft start procedure?

Edited by Hoops
because I'm a dunce

17 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I believe crogga are undertaking seismic testing. 

I terms of commitment to the environment, their website seems to be heavy on the benefits of natural gas and light on what effect testing and extraction will have.

Are they scanning the area to be tested for the presence of large marine mammals?

Are they carrying out a soft start procedure?

Why don't you ask them if you're concerned?

The EU will class natural gas as a green transition fuel and extend its use for decades.  We need to keep paying back the meas massive debt for years to come.

I don't believe that the island will see any benefit from crogga, nor do I believe that it won't cost the tax payer anything to extract and process.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

My understanding is that BP were looking for oil before gas became so valuable, and at the time there wasn't enough oil to excite them.

We had clients visit us over two years looking into this and they weren't interested so not sure how it has become a potential goldmine for the IOM since then. 

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

3 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

We had clients visit us over two years looking into this and they weren't interested so not sure how it has become a potential goldmine for the IOM since then. 

The variation in price of oil/gas often dictates the viability of extraction.  When it's cheap as chips, then the labour intensive methods such as shale fracking are unviable.  However when the tables turn and prices are high, then these intensive (expensive) methods suddenly become more viable. 

Basic economics, which have been used aggressively by the big producers in the past to screw each other over. 

Whenever BP were looking, I'd assume the prices were fairly low, so wouldn't have been worth it.  Bear in mind that there is likely significant technological development over that period as well, that would probably make it easier/cheaper to extract 'difficult' deposits than previously.

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Rob really is acting like he's shit the bed. 

He should remember as an MLC he isn't there to be shouting about these issues. He has no public mandate to be acting the way he is. 

Exactly. No public mandate - he's there to review legislation - that's it.

Not mouth off publicly if decisions don't agree with his agenda.

Should definitely wind his neck in, Alf should remind him of his responsibilities as an MLC, just as Quayle did to MLC members last term....

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Exactly. No public mandate - he's there to review legislation - that's it.

Not mouth off publicly if decisions don't agree with his agenda.

Should definitely wind his neck in, Alf should remind him of his responsibilities as an MLC, just as Quayle did to MLC members last term....

That was one of very few highlights of the HQ years. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 4:27 PM, Stu Peters said:

I expect (but don't know) that Crogga will have had to tick every possible box to be granted this licence. And it's not like the IOM will become a rogue state by exploiting its own gas reserves (everyone around us is doing the same), or be a trailblazer of new technologies. If there are reserves there as expected it will put billions into the Manx economy and provide affordable gas and electricity for years - at a time when people are contemplating a pretty cold winter. Of course it will take time to get onstream, which is why I think any obstacles should be removed to expedite matters, but the sooner the better for Manx consumers.

It wont put billions into the manx economy Stu. That's a bit over the top. Millions perhaps.