Gas deposit

hissingsid

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Well he said people would be pleased where it will be put and I can't think of anywhere else...

What about the old Howstrake Camp site? I would have thought the Summerland site at sea level wouldn't be the best of places, rising sea levels and unpredictable weather patterns etc.

10 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

No one seems to have raised the costs of distribution once any gas is on shore. Does the MUA own all the infrastructure and what user agreement/licensing does Manx Gas have ?  

Doesn't MUA procure the gas for Manx Gas?

Thinking back to this... https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-61082191

"All of the natural gas purchased for sale on the island by MG is done via MU."

Edited by NoTailT

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

If Hooper wants to resign, as a Minister over this, then let him crack on, as it shows how poor his judgement is. 

As the bulk of our health services have been assigned away from the government, Hooper doesn’t seem to have many health services-related responsibilities left. Hence, the title of ‘Health Minister’ is just a glorified title for position that has practically no substance or power to effectively intervene in any health matter. Perhaps he has become so frustrated (that his hands are tied so tightly) that he might be looking for a reason to jump ship, and is using the opposition to Crogga as a plausable pretext?

A problem with the successive IOM governments has been that they have developed a curious knack for wasting money by making spectacularly bad financial decisions (e.g., the unauthorised MUA loans travesty, the ‘film industry’, the outrageously expensive Liverpool dock, etc). An old dictum “they see us coming” has applied time and time again. Consequently, the GMP have developed a belief that in a negotiation the private sector will out-smart the IOMG. IMHO, the “Review of the IOM Health and Social Care System” has turned out to be another ruse - health services are essential public ‘goods’ and this is why these services must always be in public control. As I understand it, Manx (don’t) Care is a private business, and as such is primarily interested in making profits for their stakeholders. Surely, they won't allow themselves to make losses?

This time there is a fair amount of scepticism amongst the public about Crogga’s bold proposals. I am not convinced that this gas exploration adventure has been sufficiently evaluated at any governmental level, before passing a judgment one way or another (e.g., supposedly by 2030 the UK will be changing the composition of gas that is fed into the Pulrose power plant and when that happens, because of its technical design the plant will not function). The licence extension will give the government a bit of time to figure out what to do. I am in favour of ‘green energy’, but the government must get on ASAP with whatever it needs to do to make it happen. So far there has been nothing more than some vague slogans and sound bites as to what the government is going to do and how they will fund their plans. Hopefully, some specifics will emerge very soon or else time will run out and any delays could result in another fiasco. 

• Like 4

You can see this coming. Either they'll put up so many obstacles to protect a local monopoly; or if it did go ahead they'll stiff the end consumer. It's probably a coin toss which. They're dealing with some big fish here and I don't trust 'IOM Government' with the national interest. It's always somebody else's interest...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

Doesn't MUA procure the gas for Manx Gas?

Thinking back to this... https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-61082191

"All of the natural gas purchased for sale on the island by MG is done via MU."

Yes, they purchase it, add their markup and sell it to Manx Gas. This way the MU lot can pay back their loans, at the expense of the consumer!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Mr Mercer was elected by HOK members. The idea that anyone with a distant second place scraping 400 votes on the back of being 'anti-immigrant', 'anti-woke' and a TT themed monorail has a 'popular mandate' on everything is just nonsense.

Who was that then? Obviously not me as I got almost a thousand votes and came clear second out of five candidates.

• Like 2

Stu, don't mean to take the wind out of your sails, you were elected under our system, congrats to you. You say you were a 'clear second', that you were in the number of votes but with our two votes per person system you cannot say you were a clear second 'choice' to Poole-Wilson.

Neither you nor the voters in Middle have any idea how many of the votes were for favourites or 'second choices'.

It could be that your 1000 votes were all second choice, perhaps you picked up second choices to Lynch or Hannafin?

It could be that, say, Lynch was the second favourite to Poole-Wilson on first choice votes and that you picked up enough second choice votes to oust her when, perhaps, she should have been the other candidate elected.

The above is an example, we cannot know with two votes per person what the intention of the electorate was in our elections.

The Crowga guy said the Manx people would be very pleased when they find out the site proposed. Or words to that effect. I immediately thought that he was chancing his arm and that the location wasn't decided. Could be wrong. He states it in the video.