Gas deposit

hissingsid

11 minutes ago, quilp said:

The Crowga guy said the Manx people would be very pleased when they find out the site proposed. Or words to that effect. I immediately thought that he was chancing his arm and that the location wasn't decided. Could be wrong. He states it in the video. 

Douglas Town Square? After 1886 have vacated of course. It can join the industrial mess of the Promenade. Or maybe Lake Rd?

21 hours ago, finlo said:

Kirk Michael where the existing pipeline lands would make more sense.

wrong side of the Island , there are  however  some quite small natural gas extraction plants , and if its going to buy the isle of man some time  to gain   few years transition to enable us to switch  to greener energy then its a No Brainer  we should be bringing it on !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

Northern Ireland is a potential 'customer' for Manx reserves. The Crogga guy claims that the Island's gas consumption would not exceed 5% of what comes out of the earth, the rest being sold on at profit. 

So what are we waiting for? Politically Tynwald should be getting everything in order so it's ready to go once the seismic surveys are complete. 

• Like 2

I expect IOMG ducks are in a row, despite late challenges. Certainly one of the big delays in doing anything quickly is the restriction on when Crogga can survey - to 'winter' months only. Because fishermen or swamp grass or something. Then the same people will say 'it's not a quick fix, this gas reserve'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

So what are we waiting for? Politically Tynwald should be getting everything in order so it's ready to go once the seismic surveys are complete. 

There are the opinions of dissenters to the project which will have to be heard. Government have to be seen (at least) as acting democratically, the danger here being the general attitude of procrastination, interminable indecision and, dare I say, a smidgen of cowardice which will stymie progress.

If Crogga's predictions are correct, the nettle needs to be swiftly and firmly grasped. Pumping CO2 back into the rock the gas was extracted from is another possible bonus.

The bigger picture is more employment for both locals and incomers, some of whom might decide to move to the Island increasing our working population and tax contributions. Robertshaw mentioned benefitting from the VAT, and a reduction in energy costs for local consumers, self-sufficiency, etc. In this changing world it would seem a good proposition. How could it not be?

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I expect IOMG ducks are in a row, despite late challenges. Certainly one of the big delays in doing anything quickly is the restriction on when Crogga can survey - to 'winter' months only. Because fishermen or swamp grass or something. Then the same people will say 'it's not a quick fix, this gas reserve'.

I hope you are right, Stu.  

Certainly it needs progressing as quickly as possible. Any members against this should resign.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Any members against this should resign.

That'd be a big ask. At the very least the project should be given the priority it deserves, it's in everyone's interest for the foreseeable future.

Any members against this should think hard why they are so...

• Like 4

There are, of course, valid objections and questions to be answered. I'm lazy so I'll just quote part of the MLP's press release on it:

The fact that the government has granted this extension in the face of the climate emergency is disappointing, and we believe it to be completely against any previous commitment that they have made to combating the island’s emissions. The Isle of Man may be small, but this does not change our obligation to international targets.

On Wednesday, the Chief Minister said that this “won’t stop [the] push for renewable energy”. This statement, in relation to extending Crogga’s licence, is incompatible. Since the first time that Crogga was awarded a survey licence, we have seen the government bend over backwards to meet the demands of a private company, yet not make any significant progress to making our energy supply renewable or supporting homeowners to make their properties more efficient.

Leader of the Isle of Man Green Party, Andrew Langan Newton, has said that the gas market is dying, and he is correct. Not only that, but the myth that the average Manx person will see their gas bills drop significantly is just that, a myth. Crogga is a private company, and although there would likely be a deal between them and the government in the case that a gas field is found, there is no sugar-coating the fact that they would be acting solely in the interests of their shareholders, and not the interests of the Manx people.

Certain members of the government would lead you to believe that gas is a ‘transition fuel’, and whilst this may have been the case 30 years ago, the IPCC just last month came out with a new report that stated “it’s now or never” when it comes to limiting our greenhouse gas emissions to prevent a global temperature rise of more than 1.5°C. The Isle of Man has been using gas since 2004 – surely nearly 20 years is enough time for this so-called ‘transition’ to take place?

"Anyone who disagrees with what I want should resign" is particularly hilariously undemocratic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm undecided on the matter. The case hasn't been made yet. 

It always worries me when politicians testily demand whatever they want is done quickly. It's very Allan Bell. 

This was barely discussed at the last election, how many manifestos was it in, it's prime advocate lost, when it was discussed at the Rushen hustings all candidates were against it, yet somehow anyone that votes against it should resign? That kind of talk is a red flag. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Declan said:

somehow anyone that votes against it should resign? That kind of talk is a red flag. 

Yes, because we have had enough self-serving politicians and CS for the past 2 decades. Now is the time to face the brutal reality, drain the swamp and rid ourselves of these type of people. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Yes, because we have had enough self-serving politicians and CS for the past 2 decades. Now is the time to face the brutal reality, drain the swamp and rid ourselves of these type of people. 

But who are the self-serving people here? Are any of them? It's hard to tell.

I would rather politicians were free to vote with their conscience. Many were elected on a fairly green manifesto, that doesn't necessarily stop them voting for gas exploration, but voting against certainly wouldn't be a betrayal of the electorate worthy of resignation.

There could be reasons to support drilling but not with the proposed firm. There could be small print that leaves the Island at a disadvantage. Should an MHK waive it through or resign? 

• Like 2