Gas deposit

hissingsid

1 minute ago, Omobono said:

I just hope they will be able to fully explore  the proposed gas field , and at no cost to the taxpayer , and if there is a substantial amount of gas there ,be permitted  to extract it , if the Russians pull the rug on the germans this autumn  any gas deposits will become extremely valuable ,and it would be extremely  foolish for the isle of man government  to deprive the market place  of an opportunity  to have access to this ,which could prove to be very beneficial  in making the transitional change away from fossil fuels ,which will not happen overnight and could take years , 

just hope IOM PLC has not bottled out ! or filled its trousers 

PLC? You have to be joking, directors of a company have to consider ALL its stakeholders.  No such consideration in this foolhardy decision,  if it is as reported. 

So, would they like to put up the £40m,  or whatever is left, to grants for insulation, require all new builds to be energy efficient, and also lay a second interconnector to feed off renewable energy produced in the UK?

• Like 2

Will the crogga license be extended if need be ? They have less than 2 years on it I think.

Can't see many investors if it won't!

Good decision all round and good to see we have so many politicians who are in tune with the public. Whose main concern is climate change and doing all we can to negate our impact. 

2 minutes ago, Raffles said:

Will the crogga license be extended if need be ? They have less than 2 years on it I think.

Can't see many investors if it won't!

Good decision all round and good to see we have so many politicians who are in tune with the public. Whose main concern is climate change and doing all we can to negate our impact. 

Why would you bother if you can't extract the gas?

The decision is good for who exactly?  Have you already sunk many thousands into alternative sustainable energy, an electric car and so on? 

If the energy tap turns off, are you prepared? 

There certainly has to be a huge programme of adaptations to meet that challenge and the hope of those supporting this was that any revenue would assist in the transition.  No one was supporting IOMG getting involved in funding it, but it was a potential that could ultimately benefit the whole island moving to a truly sustainable model. 

That potential is now gone. 

But there you go, Alf's vision of a 15,000 change in population may just come to fruition, but in the other direction.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I just hope they will be able to fully explore  the proposed gas field , and at no cost to the taxpayer , and if there is a substantial amount of gas there ,be permitted  to extract it , if the Russians pull the rug on the germans this autumn  any gas deposits will become extremely valuable ,and it would be extremely  foolish for the isle of man government  to deprive the market place  of an opportunity  to have access to this ,which could prove to be very beneficial  in making the transitional change away from fossil fuels ,which will not happen overnight and could take years , 

just hope IOM PLC has not bottled out ! or filled its trousers 

Your expectations of our gas field may be a bit high. 

As stated earlier, nothing has changed, nothing has been cancelled and Crogga are free to exploit any reserves they deem worthwhile. I almost voted against the amended motion, on the basis that if Crogga failed so did the scheme, until I realised that Crogga could probably sell their company (or a controlling share) to another operator still leaving the agreement valid and in place.

Just now, Stu Peters said:

As stated earlier, nothing has changed, nothing has been cancelled and Crogga are free to exploit any reserves they deem worthwhile. I almost voted against the amended motion, on the basis that if Crogga failed so did the scheme, until I realised that Crogga could probably sell their company (or a controlling share) to another operator still leaving the agreement valid and in place.

So, Crogga has extraction as a term of their exploration licence?  If that is the case, I am greatly reassured and will not be putting the house on the market tomorrow.  

• Haha 1

It's a cynical attempt to look like they give a shit about the environment. Yes we'll ban the extraction of those nasty fossil fuels - just as soon as we've extracted them all.

We care deeply about the environment and the world we will leave for future generations - we just care about money and short term tax receipts more.

Lazy, cowardly, unimaginative politics.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It's a cynical attempt to look like they give a shit about the environment. Yes we'll ban the extraction of those nasty fossil fuels - just as soon as we've extracted them all.

We care deeply about the environment and the world we will leave for future generations - we just care about money and short term tax receipts more.

Lazy, cowardly, unimaginative politics.

Sorry it looks like a sensible decision to me , or would a fool and his money rather see the lights go out so we can say we have reached our emissions target , while the rest of the world are already  keeping coal fired power stations going  until a more stable way is found to make the transition  to greener energy , particularly with whats going on in Europe and Russia 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Sorry it looks like a sensible decision to me , or would a fool and his money rather see the lights go out so we can say we have reached our emissions target , while the rest of the world are already  keeping coal fired power stations going  until a more stable way is found to make the transition  to greener energy , particularly with whats going on in Europe and Russia 

Daffy would have us living with candles, and heating our homes with dung.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Omobono said:

What's going on in Europe and Russia started decades after we should have been moving towards renewable energy - we still aren't, there are zero plans to do so.

Now they've decided we need to extract fossil fuel to pay for it, that'll be the best part of another decade away and here's the thing - it'll be a fucking disaster. Name one project, just one in the last twenty years where government have received exactly what was promised from working with a private company. The service or product is never as good as promised, we always end up millions out of pocket - this one will be no different, it won't benefit the Manx consumer, it won't benefit the government and it'll delay our glacial move towards a sustainable future considerably.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

https://www.crogga.im/2022/05/03/crogga-granted-a-27-month-licence-extension-by-the-department-of-infrastructure/

That says nothing about extraction, just exploratory drilling as the last phase.

Edited by Gladys