Gas deposit

hissingsid

Exploratory drilling is the start of extraction. Once they hit gas they'll not stop sucking it out of the ground until it runs out. I'm sure you don't need to move...

3 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Exploratory drilling is the start of extraction. Once they hit gas they'll not stop sucking it out of the ground until it runs out. I'm sure you don't need to move...

So, at what point does exploratory drilling become extraction in need of the licence that has just been decided by Tynwald never to issue?

What incentive is there for Crogga to continue exploration?  On a basic reading, they could hit gas in Phase C and be told to cap it as extraction licences were no longer being granted by a decision of Tynwald? 

40 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

As I mentioned a good while ago, if one of the leaders in this field  run away then that may well hint that there is not the gas down there that Crogga would have you believe

2 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

As I mentioned a good while ago, if one of the leaders in this field  run away then that may well hint that there is not the gas down there that Crogga would have you believe

Who cares as long as public money doesn't go into it?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So, at what point does exploratory drilling become extraction in need of the licence that has just been decided by Tynwald never to issue?

What incentive is there for Crogga to continue exploration?  On a basic reading, they could hit gas in Phase C and be told to cap it as extraction licences were no longer being granted by a decision of Tynwald? 

The motion today was that no 'further' licences be issued. I think Crogga's includes extraction (I haven't seen it) if the test drilling is positive.

11 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

The motion today was that no 'further' licences be issued. I think Crogga's includes extraction (I haven't seen it) if the test drilling is positive.

I do hope so, but surely this should have been clear when voting?

I think it was Juan Watterson who wanted to be sure that any decision would not open IOMG up to a legal challenge from Crogga by reneging on their current licence.  Hopefully, this is because extraction is covered under the current licence and so would not be a 'further' licence, but it may be that the terms of the licence relating to extraction are not clear.

35 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Just looked at the Order Paper, no reports or discussion papers were laid to allow an informed debate?

It was a backbencher motion from Joney Faragher, not CoMin, so was mostly impassioned rhetoric about a decision already (properly) taken. I think the CoMin amendment from the CM was an attempt to defuse tensions, prevent a disastrous breach of contract and throw a scrap to my colleagues on the other side of the debate.

• Thanks 5

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

You "think" it includes extraction?   As an elected representative and a supporter of this scheme shouldn't you know exactly what the licence includes and allows? 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Prices have changed just a bit since the 1980's when they 'ran away' - therefore the economic case of drilling has changed as well. 

• Like 2