Gas deposit

hissingsid

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

If Ireland has it's own gas, why are they importing it? Why would it be two way?

The Interconnect is one way according to Ian Rush, above post, linking in to it to send our surplus to Ireland would depend on them wanting it and the cost of a connector......

........ and then we would need pipework from the gas field to the Island and the infrastructure to process the gas for distribution, first to Island consumers, then to sell it back to the existing network in England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of this is ''allegedly'' !

That will all be sorted if the volume of gas they think is there, but before we start spending the money let’s establish if the gas exists first!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

If Ireland has it's own gas, why are they importing it? Why would it be two way?

The Interconnect is one way according to Ian Rush, above post, linking in to it to send our surplus to Ireland would depend on them wanting it and the cost of a connector......

........ and then we would need pipework from the gas field to the Island and the infrastructure to process the gas for distribution, first to Island consumers, then to sell it back to the existing network in England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With all due respect to Ian Rush, I'd prefer to listen to the expert (Diccin?)who was interviewed from Crogga.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Kopek said:

We have a T off the connection from UK to Ireland. Isnt it owned bu Bordnymona or something and we pay for our leg. If its sharing Irelands Gas then it has to be one way only. 

You are correct I think. We (They) would need lots of new infrastructure and the pipeline we have is a little relevance unless we became as exporter

13 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Are we the only country in the world which installs one-way inter connectors then?

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/energy-explained/what-are-electricity-interconnectors

The whole purpose of an inter connector is to inter-connect so power can be shared.

That article talks about electricity interconnectors. 

Presumably a spur off a gas iinterconnectorwould have to be two way? 

Edited by Gladys

39 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Are we the only country in the world which installs one-way inter connectors then?

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/energy-explained/what-are-electricity-interconnectors

The whole purpose of an inter connector is to inter-connect so power can be shared.

I think you have got confused. Always best to read all the thread. I think we are talking Gas here.

MEA electricity inter-connector is two way. Gas is not 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That article talks about electricity interconnectors. 

Presumably a spur off a gas iinterconnectorwould have to be two way? 

I would imagine gas two way inter connectors would be tricky as it has to be pumped under very high pressure so you need pressure up stations and pressure down stations. Its not impossible for sure as I guess the pipe is the same all the way along its length. You would need up pressure pumps at this end and down pressure stations at the other end (which is the opp of what we have). Not as simple as electricity which can more easily be reversed and the infrastructure for doing that must already exist (because w MEA do it all the time)

You would only be able to send it to Ireland as it would be no right turn to UK as thats a one was street going to Ireland

Edited by Happier diner

22 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think I'd prefer to listen to an expert who's employer didn't stand to make a fortune from the deal.

My employers are the people of Middle. Who stand to benefit significantly from the deal. It's them I represent, not Greta Thunberg and her supporters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

My employers are the people of Middle. Who stand to benefit significantly from the deal. It's them I represent, not Greta Thunberg and her supporters.

I would argue your employers are the people of the IOM but I get your point. My point was that you should make sure just how well they're going to benefit rather than taking the word of an expert who's employer has a vested financial interest in the job going ahead.

There maybe financial benefits for the people of Middle/IOM, what are they and how do you, or the experts know? This is what needs clarifying impartially. 

There maybe downsides to the idea as well, what are they and are they worth the financial benefit? Is the financial benefit guaranteed?

What are the environmental consequences, what would they be if everywhere that could did the same as us?

Some expert many years ago decided that the people of the IOM would benefit from replacing the perfect serviceable flumes at the NSC............

Edited by A fool and his money.....
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

We can’t afford not to at least establish if this gas exists, Sturgeon is trying to get rid of the only good thing Scotland have ie Oil!’

Scotland are continuing to extract oil ,and if there is any gas to be had they will be extracting that as well  they use the argument  they still need the revenue from oil to be able to fund the transformation into Greener energy , the Isle of Man Government had the foresight to purchase the oil and mineral rights in our territorial seas from the crown , so whats wrong with us making sure of what we have under there , and if its viable  then  with a commercial partner  ,,   use it to fund our own  greener  credentials , , we already have a gas infrastructure , we could be producing Hydrogen into the system in 10 years from now , thats how fast things are moving in the real  energy world , but fossil fuels will remain with us for many years yet ,and play a big part in the Transition before  eventually becoming redundant 

• Thanks 7

• 2 weeks later...