Gas deposit

hissingsid

7 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

No, my first comment was not a personal attack.  It was a question to an MHK who posts here under their own name.

I may not agree with Stu's politics but I do expect any elected representative to have as much information as possible before making decisions on behalf of the electorate.

What I find incredible in this case is that it is the Government who have issued to licence to Crogga to explore for gas but at least one MHK, probably more, is not in possession of the details of that licence.

If I went before the Exec team at work talking up the benefits of a proposal but did not know the full facts I would be ripped to pieces and the project stopped immediately!  

If you are going to promote a project then please have the full details especially of any licences or contracts already in place.

I did have as much information as possible before debating and voting on this. The executive government is the Council of Ministers and they are empowered under statute to make certain decisions without recourse to a Tynwald vote. This was one of them. I'd hosted the Crogga presentation to members so had the facts they were able to share, and had spoken to the Chief Minister and other colleagues in government. The commercial agreement with Crogga is not in the public domain and I don't expect to see it, especially as there are no cost implications for the taxpayer.

And remember this wasn't a new application - it was simply an extension to cover the time lost because of Covid, albeit with additional hoops to jump through.

37 minutes ago, asitis said:

Hopefully not the same as Liverpool then, this was the exact phrase used at the start of that debacle !

I share your concern, but Liverpool was an IOMG initiative,  the gas exploration is a private initiative.   It just needs to stay that way. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 7/21/2022 at 3:53 PM, Andy Onchan said:

I can assure you I am very far from being a snowflake. The first post was clearly aimed at Stu otherwise why would the second post say it's not a personal attack? 

Seeing a reasonable question as a "personal attack" sounds awfully snowflakey.

One of the benefits of my previous job as radio gobshite was the development of broad shoulders and a thick skin, which continue to be of value. So people can say whatever they like about me as long as they're prepared for a commensurate reply.

That said, I am indebted to m'learned friend from Onchan (very far from being a snowflake - official) for calling out one of my regular critics.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 12:21 AM, Stu Peters said:

I did have as much information as possible before debating and voting on this. (1)The executive government is the Council of Ministers and they are empowered under statute to make certain decisions without recourse to a Tynwald vote. This was one of them. I'd hosted the Crogga presentation to members so had the facts they were able to share, and had spoken to the Chief Minister and other colleagues in government. (2) The commercial agreement with Crogga is not in the public domain and I don't expect to see it, especially as there are no cost implications for the taxpayer.

And remember this wasn't a new application - it was simply an extension to cover the time lost because of Covid, albeit with additional hoops to jump through.

(1) Which surely means that CoMin decisions are also not subject to scrutiny by Tynwald thereby increasing the chances of backroom deals and potentially bribery and corruption? 

(2) Why aren't the terms of the licence available to MHK's?  To an extent I can understand the commercial reasons for it not being public but don't forget that the a direct cost to tax payer's isn't, or shouldn't be your sole concern.  What happens if during exploration there is an accident causing significant pollution or environmental damage in waters ? Who would pay for the clean up? Crogga or the tax payer?

There just seems to be a complete lack of scrutiny and far to much possibility and opportunity for corruption. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Putin is turning the screw on Europe  and the Germans are opening up the coal mines again ,  

we should not rush into spending  money on saving the planet ,  but wait and see what what will  work for the Isle of Man ,  across Europe countries much wealthier than us appear to be doing the same ,

it will be interesting to see what Daphne has to say later this week ,on Mannin line or are we blindly  following  the usual green agenda which seems to be churning out the same old   mantra 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Putin is turning the screw on Europe  and the Germans are opening up the coal mines again ,  

we should not rush into spending  money on saving the planet ,  but wait and see what what will  work for the Isle of Man ,  across Europe countries much wealthier than us appear to be doing the same ,

it will be interesting to see what Daphne has to say later this week ,on Mannin line or are we blindly  following  the usual green agenda which seems to be churning out the same old   mantra 

going green has not worked out to well for the Germans...............

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bozinko said:

going green has not worked out to well for the Germans

They didn't have much luck with an earlier variation on the green theme, either:

Feldgrau (English: field-grey) is a greenish grey color. It was the official basic color of military uniforms of the German armed forces from the early 20th century until 1945.