Gas deposit

hissingsid

Reading the papers today the headlines are talking about the need for energy shedding meaning managed blackouts due to insufficient gas to meet demand .

I wonder where the Isle of Man ranks when decisions are being made as to the distribution supply of gas within British Isles?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-29/uk-asks-energy-grid-to-prepare-for-risk-of-russian-gas-cutoff

within this article it states 

It’s important to emphasize that National Grid would only switch off interconnectors in the event there was a threat to domestic consumers,” said Adam Bell, head of policy at consultancy Stonehaven and former head of energy strategy for BEIS”

Edited by Mann O Mann

8 hours ago, Mann O Mann said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-29/uk-asks-energy-grid-to-prepare-for-risk-of-russian-gas-cutoff

within this article it states 

It’s important to emphasize that National Grid would only switch off interconnectors in the event there was a threat to domestic consumers,” said Adam Bell, head of policy at consultancy Stonehaven and former head of energy strategy for BEIS”

Yes, and elsewhere in the article it is made clear that only applies the Dutch and Belgian interconnector, and not the Irish one.

• Thanks 3

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2022 at 2:37 PM, Happier diner said:

I don't know. But I am with @finlo, if I had to guess I would say 10 years with a fair wind and possible even up to even 20. 

According to 3FM, Crogga saying they'd like to begin extracting in the summer of 2023. Thought you said it would take a minimum of 10 years, and possibly 20!!!! My uneducated guess at one year wasn't bad after all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, winnie said:

According to 3FM, Crogga saying they'd like to begin extracting in the summer of 2023. Thought you said it would take a minimum of 10 years, and possibly 20!!!! My uneducated guess at one year wasn't bad after all.

Extracting commercially, or just extracting some as a test?

33 minutes ago, winnie said:

They're on record in a Paul Moulton interview as saying it could be supplied to the island within 2 years from when the go button is pushed. 

The 10 years and various other claims are just misinformation being peddled by the Greens.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, winnie said:

No chance at all. As @The Phantom says that can only be experimental. Maybe to start testing if the gas is eve suitable or not. The infrastructure required to pipe the gas to shore etc will take years

Just now, 0bserver said:

They're on record in a Paul Moulton interview as saying it could be supplied to the island within 2 years from when the go button is pushed. 

The 10 years and various other claims are just misinformation being peddled by the Greens.

I'm not a green. I still think 10 years is a realistic timescale. Within 2 years is fantasy.

On 6/1/2022 at 11:36 PM, quilp said:

Latest video from Moulton. Questions for the Crogga big-wig. Informative, projections, expansion, Ireland, VAT. Plenty in there. At 45mins it is worth a watch for anyone really interested in this project. Moulton starts off looking to be convinced...

100 local shareholders, Robertshaw declares his interest...

"...biggest thing to happen for the Isle of Man in a long time!"

Potential renewable market exploitation. Consumers on the Island will only use 5% of what comes out of the ground, the rest to be sold on the international market, Isle of Man gets just over half of every dollar paid. 

Strong and positive argument on the surface, Moulton needs to record any response from the naysayers.

Crogga guy open to debate any group which opposes the project.

The windfarm project was proposed as part of Crogga's remit months ago so the report is not exactly 'new' news. In the video above the guy from Crogga sets out the plan. An interesting and informative video watched by not many. The windfarm aspect was barely mentioned by our local media. It's worth watching again in its entirety. 

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No chance at all. As @The Phantom says that can only be experimental. Maybe to start testing if the gas is eve suitable or not. The infrastructure required to pipe the gas to shore etc will take years

Yeah I don't think they have actually drilled and extracted anything yet.  Just seismic surveys etc, so they can see that the geology works and in theory it looks ok. 

Next stage would be a test drill and well, which I would imagine is what they are talking about for summer 2023. 

I don't think I've ever seen plans for the infrastructure for the extracted gas.  What was the plan?  Anyone got any links etc?  I guess if they piped it to the existing UK fields for processing, it would speed things up significantly.  If they want to build something here then at least 3 years from getting the green light. 

I have done some work on financing gas terminals and processing etc in West Africa, so I do have some knowledge on timeframes etc and a little bit of geological understanding. 

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah I don't think they have actually drilled and extracted anything yet.

I don't think I've ever seen plans for the infrastructure for the extracted gas. What was the plan? Anyone got any links etc?

Force yourself to watch the video above if you're really interested and want some leaders on the infrastructure and what happens once the gas is out of the ground...

FFS. 

6 minutes ago, quilp said:

Force yourself to watch the video above if you're really interested and want some leaders on the infrastructure and what happens once the gas is out of the ground...

FFS. 

I did watch it originally, but don't have 44mins spare to do it again.  Give me a clue where I can fast forward to re the infrastructure when extracted?  I did look, nothing on their website that I can see. 

It would be handy if Moulton put some bloody indexing on his vids! 

Edited by The Phantom

4 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah I don't think they have actually drilled and extracted anything yet.  Just seismic surveys etc, so they can see that the geology works and in theory it looks ok. 

Next stage would be a test drill and well, which I would imagine is what they are talking about for summer 2023. 

I don't think I've ever seen plans for the infrastructure for the extracted gas.  What was the plan?  Anyone got any links etc?  I guess if they piped it to the existing UK fields for processing, it would speed things up significantly.  If they want to build something here then at least 3 years from getting the green light. 

I have done some work on financing gas terminals and processing etc in West Africa, so I do have some knowledge on timeframes etc and a little bit of geological understanding. 

Thanks. It's nice to get information from someone 'in the trade'.

Would it be too expensive to pipe it to the IOM and transport via ship? I imagine the IOM loading is quite high to run the power station and gas service, so not sure how much would be transported off Island.

Yeah, looks like it would just be the planned Phase C - Exploratory drilling. 

News Release – May 3rd 2022

An Isle of Man company looking for oil and gas in Manx territorial waters has been granted permission to continue its search beyond a four-month licence extension granted in December 2021.

The Department of Infrastructure originally issued Crogga Limited with a Seaward Production Innovative Licence in October 2018.

Such licences are divided into three exploration phases:

• Phase A – geotechnical studies and geophysical reprocessing
  • Phase B – seismic survey and acquiring other geophysical data
  • Phase C – exploratory drilling

The licence term commenced on 1 January 2019 at Phase B and allowed Crogga three years to complete the relevant work. The conditions of the licence require satisfactory completion of Phase B before moving to Phase C.

With the licence due to expire on 31 December 2021, Crogga were granted a four-month extension, during which time it has engaged with the Isle of Man Government over matters relating to climate change and the company’s ability to fulfil outstanding requirements relating to the satisfactory completion of Phase B.

Crogga recently amended its initial request for an extension to Phase B, and productive discussions have resulted in the company being granted a 27-month extension to satisfy the necessary conditions. A period of three years has also been retained to complete Phase C as part of the agreement.

Infrastructure Minister Tim Crookall MHK said: ‘Extensive discussions have taken place between Crogga and the Government since the turn of the year, prior to granting this latest licence extension. We will continue to engage with the company and monitor progress in the coming months, as it works towards fulfilling the conditions of the licence.’