Amazon to refuse VISA credit cards. What credit cards, esp. Mastercard available to IOM residents?

David13

There is an old topic on this subject with a lot of waffle, but offering no actual solutions!

I have a VISA credit card, acquired before I moved to the island...

What credit cards, especially MASTERCARD, are available to IOM residents?

I did a soft search on moneysupermarket.com with 100% correct answers and the whole list came up NONE for me!

I changed one thing: my address to a UK one: offers came up!

HSBC offers a Mastercard, but, seemingly only to their Premium Account holders (with monthly fee!)

Credit cards offer better protection than debit cards, so suggestions not to use credit cards are unhelpful...

P.S. I am new to manxforums, so sorry if someone else has raised this topic; if so I cannot find it.

I am in the same boat as you and found myself ineligible for a credit card even though I have a Visa one already. You may get an Amex card but when I looked into it the annual fee was £140. I have a Revolut account as a bit of a stash for myself so will use that for Amazon. I know the protection is reduced but I have yet to have a bad experience with Amazon  I keep only a low balance in the Revolut and will just charge it for making the purchases. I got a £20 credit too for adding it to my Amazon account.

Thanks for replies so far.

The UK changed the banking rules late in 2017 which involved ringfencing UK customers from offshore customers.

HSBC, for example, now has a separate entity for IOM/Channel islands: ciiom.hsbc.com

My question actually boils down to this:

Has anyone applied for and got a NEW Mastercard CREDIT card using an IOM residential address in the last three years?