Amazon to refuse VISA credit cards. What credit cards, esp. Mastercard available to IOM residents?

David13

13 hours ago, pongo said:

People are mad getting loans to buy cars they cannot afford.

Agree totally with this . Got myself into issues years ago with credit cards , to easy to use etc.  and recent years have managed very well with debit cards . Whats in my account is what I'm limited too . Its helped me save money and plan far better and now with a little cushion life is so much easier without worrying about paying your monthly bill to CCC . It is a bit of a issue renting cars or booking into hotels but usually get around that one way or another. 

Well, my understanding is that Amazon has struck a massive deal with American Express and MasterCard, and now offer their own Amazon credit card (in association). Part of the agreement is to phase out visa and offer visa users an Amazon AmexMastercard as an alternative. 

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Well, my understanding is that Amazon has struck a massive deal with American Express and MasterCard, and now offer their own Amazon credit card (in association). Part of the agreement is to phase out visa and offer visa users an Amazon AmexMastercard as an alternative. 

Amazon also now offer their own credit, not a card, just a 30 day account if they think you are worthy on their data collection from you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There was no way VISA would let the Amazon account go to the wall. The fees they earn from them must be a substantial part of their revenue. Imagine what all the other large online fulfillment firms would do if VISA just walked away from Amazon. They'd all pile in and inflict even more pain.

I just have a debit card I think credit cards especially for young people getting their first job, first apartment etc are too handy they end up paying silly interest rates and always playing catch up.   The temptation is too great to get what you want and not what you need.  In my first job it was a brown envelope on a Friday with the wages inside and it was far easier to keep spending under control, Mum got some, bus fares, a little bit saved and what was left was spending money.   Life was so much simpler then.

• Like 1