I love Isle of Man gift card

hissingsid

So, decided to have a go and buy a voucher for a family members Xmas present wanted to spend £70 as they are a couple and thought perhaps a meal out.   They only do vouchers up to £40 .   If you go to choose your value which you get 25% extra they will not accept it tells you to £40 is the most you can get, admittededly you get an extra £10 added making £50 less £1.80 for postage.   I gave up.   There are not many participants 28 in all.   Another brave initiative from the Department of Enterprise, I wonder how much time and effort this cost to set up.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So, decided to have a go and buy a voucher for a family members Xmas present wanted to spend £70 as they are a couple and thought perhaps a meal out.   They only do vouchers up to £40 .   If you go to choose your value which you get 25% extra they will not accept it tells you to £40 is the most you can get, admittededly you get an extra £10 added making £50 less £1.80 for postage.   I gave up.   There are not many participants 28 in all.   Another brave initiative from the Department of Enterprise, I wonder how much time and effort this cost to set up.

Well done for trying ………….. to support local. Unfortunately it seems this scheme like the others are badly thought out or there are obstacles so people do give up. I can only assume this idea was dreamt up by a civil servant in the Starship Enterprise, obviously with Captain Skelly at the helm before they voted him El Presidente. These ideas whilst brave, admirable and set out with good intentions, will cost the taxpayers money. 

32 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

They could have amended the website easily to £10, £20, £30, £40 and other to allow the purchaser to give more or personalise the gift. Not thought out sadly. 

There's actually a previous topic on this, with some useful information.

It was originally promoted in August and supposed to be launched in September according to this media release on the Covid site:

All local businesses with a physical premises in the Isle of Man will be able to sign up to become a partner of the scheme. Certain expenditure, such as gambling, betting, tobacco and alcohol will be excluded from the gift card. Merchant on-boarding will launch later in August 2021, and businesses can sign up to find out more by visiting www.loveiom.com. The official launch of the LoveIOM Gift Card will take place in September 2021.

But clearly it's taken them until now to round up even a miserly "up to 25+" retailers to participate - and they presumably would only join if it was delayed till after Christmas/New Year.  A classic case of the 'experts' at DfE deciding what was needed without bothering to consult with those actually working in the real economy.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add italics
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

You can only spend after 4 January 2022, and it’s limited to a few restaurants or cafes, and to me it’s debatable whether some are good. I would like to see more well known restaurants taking part which adds weight and gravitas. 

Wondering if you can buy one for yourself. £50 worth for £40

9 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What???? Where have you seen that?

In the link in my previous comment:

£0.5 million funding is earmarked specifically for a hospitality campaign to encourage diners to eat out mid-week in the autumn months. Further details will follow once the project is officially launched to consumers.

Though of course that never happened (it would be interesting to know why and what the excuses are).  Presumably the funding has been transferred to the New Year campaign.  How much will be spent (extra?) on admin etc - who knows.

Edited to add:Just read the IOMN piece which is mainly taken from this Government Press Release.  It interesting that even after listening to the industry they could only get so few participants - or is the intention to only direct it to the 'right' people?

Edited by Roger Mexico

With further thought perhaps there are times when you can purchase more than £40 with 25% off, that would be the chance they were referring to.   There is nothing stopping you buying £40 for yourself  O.G. you will get £50 less £1.80 post or no charge if you get it emailed and print it out.    Don’t tell me the stamps have gone up again 😏.    What a waste of money.