I love Isle of Man gift card

hissingsid

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Wasn't a few restaurant owners/landlords etc a bit critical of this scheme a few months ago ?  But at 500k I'm critical of it too. How the hell do they come with these hair brained schemes and who is the person/s behind it. 

Most restaurants owners said it was rubbish, they didn’t want it and wouldn’t participate, but DoE carried on regardless.

Its not Allinson fault as it was put in place by Hooper & Skelly 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Most restaurants owners said it was rubbish, they didn’t want it and wouldn’t participate, but DoE carried on regardless.

Its not Allinson fault as it was put in place by Hooper & Skelly 

Figured Skelly would be involved somewhere !. Some legacy and numerous failed schemes he seemed to be responsible for. 

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Wasn't a few restaurant owners/landlords etc a bit critical of this scheme a few months ago ?  But at 500k I'm critical of it too. How the hell do they come with these hair brained schemes and who is the person/s behind it. 

Seems the "brains" behind this can't even get the facts correct as to when the businesses will actually be paid out

16 minutes ago, Peter Layman 2 said:

Seems the "brains" behind this can't even get the facts correct as to when the businesses will actually be paid out

That half a million would have been better spent on some new tourism initiative ,or supporting a  new event that  will  bring some tourist money back  to the island again , I see Ireland are planning more subsidised ferry crossings for 2022 with deals for car +2 and kids ,and they have more new money for motorsport events  I am reliably informed that the classic car rally in the autumn  was very popular ,and the significant cash injection into the local economy and Steam Packet  will have helped some people to survive the winter,   more  events like this we need where everyone gets a taste ,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Omobono said:

That half a million would have been better spent on some new tourism initiative ,or supporting a  new event that  will  bring some tourist money back  to the island again , I see Ireland are planning more subsidised ferry crossings for 2022 with deals for car +2 and kids ,and they have more new money for motorsport events  I am reliably informed that the classic car rally in the autumn  was very popular ,and the significant cash injection into the local economy and Steam Packet  will have helped some people to survive the winter,   more  events like this we need where everyone gets a taste ,

Indeed, but as ever it's only the select few who are catered for.

To be honest it’s just a public version of all the privately issued discount card schemes except the taxpayer is picking up the tab.

The latest of all these whizzo private schemes appears to be the “finest” discount card., offering reductions in prices in those retailers signing up to the scheme. 

They come and they go. I see that the subscription to this “finest” thing is now reduced from £ 20 to £ 5, under the guise of a Black Friday deal. I suspect that is because the uptake has been a bit rubbish,and I’d be a bit pissed off if I’d paid the original £ 20.

If you believe your product is worth what you are selling it for you don’t need all this guff. And if you are going to have a promotion do it yourself.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Allinson has been landed with this amongst other projects but he was beefing it up on the 6.00 pm news on MR. tonight.   Not a good move.

What with this and the 500k visitors for 2032, there's clearly dark forces in DfE that have taken control of his senses.

That or there's a still in the corner of the DfE offices that brews something very potent that he's been forced to imbibe as some sort of initiation.

Maybe they should market that instead...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

To be honest it’s just a public version of all the privately issued discount card schemes except the taxpayer is picking up the tab.

The latest of all these whizzo private schemes appears to be the “finest” discount card., offering reductions in prices in those retailers signing up to the scheme. 

They come and they go. I see that the subscription to this “finest” thing is now reduced from £ 20 to £ 5, under the guise of a Black Friday deal. I suspect that is because the uptake has been a bit rubbish,and I’d be a bit pissed off if I’d paid the original £ 20.

If you believe your product is worth what you are selling it for you don’t need all this guff. And if you are going to have a promotion do it yourself.

Well said

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:
2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well said

Er....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

What with this and the 500k visitors for 2032, there's clearly dark forces in DfE that have taken control of his senses.

It's that thing that Crookall naively said - that Ministers see their first priority as being defending their Department.  You can see why the civil servants might be in favour, but democratic politicians are fools to fall for it.  Their loyalty is to the people who put them there.

• Like 2