We missed out here!

Ramseyboi

11 hours ago, Josem said:

While I'm grateful for the special attention that I have in your heart, I do not expect that the Manx TaxPayers' Alliance will publish the answers to all these questions. The Manx TaxPayers' Alliance isn't a government department, it doesn't receive any money from taxes. Indeed, it is not even a charity, and contributions do not even earn a tax deduction! We disclose everything we are required to do so, and a lot more. But that doesn't mean we need to answer every question from everyone, because at the end of the day, what other people do with their own money is their own business. There's no legal or moral right to such information.

This is, of course, different to a Government department which spends money that has been compulsorily taken from the people of Mann. Indeed, it is also different from charities, which have additional reporting requirements in Manx law because of their favourable tax benefits.

Michael,

You have been selling yourself as a paragon of virtue, and as the wise and great enlightener to the voters of each compass point of Douglas and beyond, about ALL that is wrong with the island, . You demanded to see Franks register of interests as a councillor, you demand full and open transparency from all and sundry, yet you won't even disclose your salary from TMTPA? Stop gaslighting, stop hiding behind excuses that don't exist, and importantly, stop trying to convince the reader that it is immoral of them to ask you to disclose things such as your salary. 

Government salaries are in the public domain, Commissioners expenses claims are available to the public, yet you are arguing that you are taking the moral high ground, demanding of others what you won't reveal about yourself?

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

If you’d bothered to listen to the podcasts you’d have heard me regularly disagreeing with his brand of liberalism. And on the twitters too

As a bloke, I like him. As I like you Rhumsaa. Takes a lot for me to dislike anyone. 

I had a wee listen Derek, it helped take my mind away from the pain of self tooth extraction! 

By your own admission Rhumsaa is right tbf, you are a fan of Skippy!

When you were a Rozzer, would you have shared a platform with some dubious character who was promoting his (or her before I get accused of being sexist) book? I doubt it, yet on the run up to the elections, you were keen to share a platform with MJ, which undoubtably helped towards the marketing of his shady political party? Without meaning to be disrespectful to you, the feedback that I received from people who had listened was not at all positive. You are a far better person than that mate!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Josem said:

You can read the opinions of many community groups from the left, right and other, argue that their donors have a right to privacy. 

But you're not a community group. You're a lobbyist, actively engaging in the political process.  There's a clear moral imperative that those engaging in this activity are transparent about their funding.

Clearly, there's a difference between 1000 concerned tax payers paying £2 per month to challenge government bloat and one HNWI paying £50k pa to challenge government policy in regards to the donor's business. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Will Halsall said:

I had a wee listen Derek, it helped take my mind away from the pain of self tooth extraction! 

By your own admission Rhumsaa is right tbf, you are a fan of Skippy!

When you were a Rozzer, would you have shared a platform with some dubious character who was promoting his (or her before I get accused of being sexist) book? I doubt it, yet on the run up to the elections, you were keen to share a platform with MJ, which undoubtably helped towards the marketing of his shady political party? Without meaning to be disrespectful to you, the feedback that I received from people who had listened was not at all positive. You are a far better person than that mate!

It wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but some folk liked it. Marmite content. 

“When you were a rozzer” isn’t really relevant, is it? As a Crown Servant there’s a lot of stuff you can’t do, a lot of conversations you can’t have, but I haven’t been fettered by that for some time now. I converse with who I want to, when I want to. I listen to a broad church of views and opinions and make my own mind up. Quite liberating really.

What Michael does is his business. I didn’t know he was going to stand for the Keys until he did. As for who is subscribing to MTA, that’s for him to disclose or otherwise as he sees fit, right, proper and most importantly, legal. Personally I think a lobby group is a good thing, and from what I’ve seen so far it’s examining a pretty wide range of issues and doing the hard yards on FOI’s etc. 

The beef seems to be who is bankrolling him. I suspect we will never find out, even though a few fingers have been pointed. I suppose people could go and doorstep them and ask directly?

Or in truth, now MJ has not been elected - twice, and declared he isn’t trying again, is it really an issue?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I know personally that at least one political party has provided way more than you were asked to provide, and could provide if you wanted to. Stop the BS please. 

In the interest of transparency what do your declared companies do? 

14 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The beef seems to be who is bankrolling him. I suspect we will never find out, even though a few fingers have been pointed. I suppose people could go and doorstep them and ask directly?

Ain't that the truth.  Some people on here seem to be obsessed with who is paying for stuff - look at the FC IOM thread.

Frankly if it's not govt run, then it's none of our business.  Although even if it is govt run, evidence would suggest that we wouldn't be told anyway. 

Carry on MJ.  You're a bit weird (aren't most interesting people?) but you're asking some questions that are clearly proving uncomfortable to some people, which is a good thing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but some folk liked it. Marmite content. 

“When you were a rozzer” isn’t really relevant, is it? As a Crown Servant there’s a lot of stuff you can’t do, a lot of conversations you can’t have, but I haven’t been fettered by that for some time now. I converse with who I want to, when I want to. I listen to a broad church of views and opinions and make my own mind up. Quite liberating really.

What Michael does is his business. I didn’t know he was going to stand for the Keys until he did. As for who is subscribing to MTA, that’s for him to disclose or otherwise as he sees fit, right, proper and most importantly, legal. Personally I think a lobby group is a good thing, and from what I’ve seen so far it’s examining a pretty wide range of issues and doing the hard yards on FOI’s etc. 

Or in truth, now MJ has not been elected - twice, and declared he isn’t trying again, is it really an issue?

Thanks for your reply Derek, I am afraid I am not as charitable towards MJ as you are, but I respect your opinion nonetheless.

WH

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Declan said:

In the interest of transparency what do your declared companies do? 

Related to my dayjob, which most people know has to do with the online gambling industry. Very unlikely to ever be a conflict of interest with the council position but I declared them for transparency. 

• Like 1

Some people are not particularly bright. This is, of course, not an issue. These individuals are generally operating within their intellectual limits and can be straightforward to deal with.

The problem is always with the individuals of limited intelligence who, for whatever reason, believe they are super smart and should be providing their ill informed, ill judged and ill thought out opinions on a wide variety of topics they know nothing about.

They are lacking any self awareness to understand that they are trying (in some cases very hard) to operate well beyond their limited brain capacity and are always difficult, if not impossible, to reason and converse with. They will never change. It's not like they have a think skin, it's more like a titanium exoskeleton, with the thickest layer around the noggin.

Not naming names here but, don't forget kids, SQL Server and Bitcoin are the same and should be treated the same. They must be the same, they both work on compooters.

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Related to my dayjob, which most people know has to do with the online gambling industry. Very unlikely to ever be a conflict of interest with the council position but I declared them for transparency. 

Thanks. 

I think the council report could be more detailed around what declared companies do.