New Ramsey Floodplain Development

James Blonde

8 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I know it's one of my pet tinfoil hat topics, but does nobody else see a complete disconnect between this (and similar proposals) and the clear and present danger (allegedly) of climate change and rising sea levels?

Stu, what I can’t understand is why are we continuing to build on greenfield sites when there’s loads of derelict sites in towns which should be developed first 

19 minutes ago, Banker said:

Why can’t the developers build on brownfield sites , Douglas there’s loads & Ramsey most of promenade around bleak house 

Because developers are not benign entities who wish to assist the community, they wish to develop for profit and whether it messes up the countryside or kills wildlife, is of no concern to them, the only driver is the bottom line. They of course employ tame consultants who tell everyone how marvellous it all is and how much it will benefit the community, it will only benefit shareholders. Brownfield sites aren't as attractive to them as profits are harder to achieve. What a shame for the riverside countryside. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, asitis said:

Because developers are not benign entities who wish to assist the community, they wish to develop for profit and whether it messes up the countryside or kills wildlife, is of no concern to them, the only driver is the bottom line. They of course employ tame consultants who tell everyone how marvellous it all is and how much it will benefit the community, it will only benefit shareholders. Brownfield sites aren't as attractive to them as profits are harder to achieve. What a shame for the riverside countryside. 

Agree with what you say but they should be stopped from greenfield development whilst brownfield are lying empty, hopefully Chris Thomas will sort it 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Yes he was on Mannin Line and he said the housing and road would need lifting a lot, he mentioned he could supply the rubble if required 🤣 .

Let's hope that it's a by-product of the demolition of his shit tip of a yard 😂

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Banker said:

Agree with what you say but they should be stopped from greenfield development whilst brownfield are lying empty, hopefully Chris Thomas will sort it 

After his first appearance on the Mannin Line as the new Housing Minister the other day, I wouldn't build your hopes up. No mention of developers, the housing boom, new resident sales, or following the money. Just the usual waffle... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

After his first appearance on the Mannin Line as the new Housing Minister the other day, I wouldn't build your hopes up. No mention of developers, the housing boom, new resident sales, or following the money. Just the usual waffle... 

If you are going to build your hopes up then do so on a green field site. 

16 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

But, but Hartford Homes site is having a, 'micro forest', as an amenity feature!

Whaaaaat? I thought that was a copse or maybe a wood?.............Micro forest, jeez!

That was exactly what I thought when I saw the 3FM piece.  It's not even as if it's replacing buildings - just an existing area of grass.  A lot of people's gardens will provide more assistance to wildlife etc that this tiny patch, but no one is calling those micro-anything. 

If a tenth of the effort that went into this relentless greenwash  was put into actual work to reduce carbon emissions, we might see some progress. instead let's build on a flood plain and let the public sort out the resulting mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Stu, what I can’t understand is why are we continuing to build on greenfield sites when there’s loads of derelict sites in towns which should be developed first 

Developers who are looking to make a profit will not surprisingly build what People want to buy.

That is a new build house with harness and drives, a play are etc.

To do that in a town would cost significantly more than it does on an area like this, which is effectively dead space at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

To do that in a town would cost significantly more than it does on an area like this, which is effectively dead space at the moment.

It is a sponge which regulates water flow reducing flash flooding, captures carbon, is good for wildlife. It is an asset to our planet.

The dead space may be between your ears.

People will buy what is available, if that is only houses in town then that is what they will buy.

• Like 6