City of Douglas

Amadeus

20 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

As mentioned in the agenda for the next council meeting, just published on the Douglas website, an application will be made for City status for Douglas. Before the usual Manx crabs kick in again, I think it would be great if we got it. 

image.png

The sentence "Douglas had much to be proud of as a town" confused me. What exactly?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

The sentence "Douglas had much to be proud of as a town" confused me. What exactly?

I think had is the key word. Once upon a time it was a great place. Not so much anymore. 

Having said that if you live in the rainbow and unicorn-populated world of the Isle of Man Public Sector then I guess things are still pretty shiny. 

Edited by James Blonde
  • Like 3

Not a bad idea. Romantically, historically, I think I prefer the idea of Peel city. But Douglas is town with island wide impact, is the capital of a nation, and known more widely. But if we can't have both being called cities and have to plump for one I'd go for Peel. 

Although, what's the point of self-determination if you can't determine whether your towns are cities or not without looking externally. Perhaps Tynwald could just pass an act recognising that Peel has always been a city since time immortal and declaring Douglas a city in honour of the Queen's jubilee (need to keep them sweet for Royal Assent). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

You lot are so predictable....

So is Douglas Council, chasing pointless crappy titles that mean nothing, all for a bit of pomp and ceremony rather than focusing on real issues 

glad I'm not a Douglas rate payer  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

Exactly, if Tynwald can declare Onchan a village and Ramsey a town, it can declare Peel and Douglas cities and Port Erin a prefecture.

Except that it still needs Mrs Windsor (or her local factotum, the Governor) to sign it off.  So it still ends up being approved by the same people.

• Sad 1