City of Douglas

Amadeus

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

Douglas is a town, if the people wanted it to be a city then there should have been a popular vote, a bunch of unelectable councillors getting a title from an unelected old woman does not make one jot of difference to me. 

Thanks for coming on and showing it makes no difference to you. I'll sleep well knowing that

• Like 1

@Weliveinhope I’m not bashing Amadeus for his works in council, it was the wholly unnecessary dig at Peel in his homemade meme that I found irksome. The Mayor did similar in offering her condolences to Peel - unnecessary and pathetic, bit like Douglas being a city.

Wearing shades and diamonds today - city slicker. 

Edited by 2bees
Bit not but :)
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 2bees said:

@Weliveinhope I’m not bashing Amadeus for his works in council, it was the wholly unnecessary dig at Peel in his homemade meme that I found irksome. The Mayor did similar in offering her condolences to Peel - unnecessary and pathetic, bit like Douglas being a city.

Wearing shades and diamonds today - city slicker. 

was more a general 'give him a chance.'

20 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

I'm as negative on IOM as the next person, but I do have hope. Can you start by digging up the weeds on the prom and doing something with it - this side of TT? Tall order but people need to see change happening, and fact.

12 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

The wild flowers take a while to blossom, hence we weedy look. 

9 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

really?!! If thats the case, then turf it, because thats been like that for months and there dont appear to be any flowers!

Douglas Borough - sorry, City Council - has missed a trick here, most probably because it would have cost next to nothing to implement. 

The innovative Braddan Commissioners addressed this problem by erecting small 'Bee Conservation Area' placards on such areas of neglected parcels of land around the parish.  Never mind the fact there's no flowers there for bees to pollinate - they can't read the signs, and it's not for their benefit anyway.  

So as not to endanger these roadside verge protected bee habitats, the signage lets people know in a roundabout (roundel?) way why these parcels of land are no longer being maintained.

It's a win win. 

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Makes national news , none for Channel Islands!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61505857

Probably because no one there was daft enough to apply.

The full list of new cities is rather telling:

• Stanley, capital of the Falkland Islands
• Douglas, Isle of Man
• Bangor, Northern Ireland
• Colchester
• Doncaster
• Milton Keynes
• Dunfermline, Scotland
• Wrexham, Wales

We're up there with Milton Keynes folks!  And a collection of prefabs on a rock in the South Atlantic.

• Haha 1

This is what The Guardian had to say about Douglas:

• Douglas (pop 27,000) has links to the royal family through the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, which originated there, with George IV as first patron, and the Queen patron today. Its cultural highlights include the annual Manx Music Festival, dating from 1892, and the Isle of Man Film Festival, which celebrates its 10th anniversary this year.

Those accolades are somewhat tentative. When was the last time Douglas, or rather, the Isle of Man, made a decent film?

Edited by AOR

28 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

The whole point about wild flowers is that that they are annuals, so they should flower quickly.  I suspect the problem is that you've used a commercial wildflower mix which look nice for two weeks a year and badly maintained grass for the other fifty.  Rather than different species flowering continuously through the summer as you would actually get in the wild.  And of course you should be using a mix suitable for sowing a few metres from the sea, not for an inland meadow.

But all the money has probably been spent on Wildflower Strategists on £50K a year rather than gardeners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

There is change within the chamber for sure. Just look who we elected chair of the housing committee recently. Dynamics in council are changing. Old vs New Guard and the new kids are starting to win. 

Can some of those "new kids" get to work with a paintbrush and start tidying up Douglas?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Did I see some rapeseed bloom in there a couple of days back?? Is the City going into rapeseed oil production now?

Seriously though, if the City gardeners know anything about wild flower seeding (which I'm sure they do) then you could be waiting a couple of years at least before they take hold and that's providing the soil isn't too acidic and too rich. otherwise they won't take. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61505857

image.png.9af6a18b17f8294385eea9b0d9aa9d6b.png

The above quote from the BBC article refers to the UK's Cabinet Office, but what boosts (besides the almost inevitable 'boost' in Douglas rates) can Douglas ratepayers now expect?  

The Isle of Man already touts itself as an international place to do business, so it's unlikely our new city status will improve or enhance things on that front.

Perhaps Amadeus or other Douglas councillors will be good enough to provide us with an idea of what boosts long suffering Douglas ratepayers can now look forward to?