City of Douglas

Amadeus

4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I thought it was the Queen or one of her distinguished employees that granted City status on her behalf I don’t think local councils can rock up and declare themselves a City.    Anyway I am rooting for Peel The Sunset City of the West as us old Manxies knew it and it advertised itself as that.

The point is councils need to apply to the Queen. 

4 minutes ago, AOR said:

Peel has only had Cathedral status for just over 40 years. I realize having a cathedral isn't a prerequisite for City status but it is a factor.

True about the current church, but the ruin on St Patrick's Isle was seen as the Cathedral till the late 19th Century - even though unusable for over 100 years before that.  In 1895, the Bishop consecrated his chapel at Bishopscourt as a pro-cathedral, but after they sold that off in 1976, they had to make St German's the Cathedral by act of Tynwald.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunset City of the West!!!

You would have to include KMick and Ballaugh in that/ What about Glen Maye and Dalby. Dalby has to be more of a sunsetter than Peel. Have to make them all Cities!!!! Oh nooooooooooooooooo!!!!

• 2 months later...

We got it :)

DISTINGUISHED DOUGLAS CELEBRATES CITY STATUS!

Thankp.png

Douglas is celebrating after being awarded ‘city’ status by Her Majesty the Queen as part of her Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

Douglas Borough Council applied for city status as part of a Civic Honours competition, alongside 38 other local authorities from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories.

Other places to apply included Ballymena in County Antrim, Dunfermline in Fife, Stanley in the Falkland Islands, Marazion in Cornwall, and Wrexham in Clywd.

Mayor of Douglas Janet Thommeny said: ‘We are thrilled with this news! It is an honour of civic pride for Douglas and everyone who lives and works here to receive this recognition and I’m sure everyone connected with the town – or should I say, city! – will be incredibly proud.

‘Our commiserations to our friends in Peel, who we hope can gain city status in the future. We are grateful to the Douglas Members of the House of Keys who wholeheartedly supported and encouraged our bid.’

Fittingly, the accolade comes in the year after the Borough of Douglas celebrated its 125th anniversary.

Omg , do unkempt not looked after city's count !. First impressions of this news is I'm embarrassed with the state of Douglas and the clear lack of upkeep . But I'm only a rate payer being robbed now every year by DBC . God help us next rate time .  Is anyone remotely proud of the state of Douglas ??.  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's the Bee Gees statue isn't it. They mistook it for the Manx building a cathedral to honour their gods. I told you all not to use the statue for Sunday service. But did you listen?. Noooooo. You had to lower your heads and say four "Our Maurices" and five "Hail Robins". You had to sing such classics as "Christ Fever", "More than a virgin" and the ever popular "Christ christ christ christ he's stayin alive...stayin alive." I tried to warn you as you read passages from the book of Gibb that it would do no good for the island. Did you listen?. No, and here we are. A city.

1 hour ago, victorian dad said:

I sense a new set of commemorative stamps will  be imminent. 

Stamps? I guess a whole schedule of jollies will now be planned by councillors and MHKs, specifically aimed at wasting ratepayers and taxpayers cash, all in the name of promotion. The first waste of money will probably be the rebranding of the Council, it’s stationery and corporate identity. 

No money to fix things but there will be money to celebrate. 

• Like 2