City of Douglas

Amadeus

What? I don’t believe this is even a thing, oh I live in a city now, it used to be a lowly town but now it’s a city, joy of joys, I’m so grateful…

Peel might not have won the competition but Peel is the sunset city (how does that change?) and let’s be honest, I don’t think the Queen even looked at the applications, let alone awarded anything to Douglas. 

What’s the difference between Douglas and Peel? Douglas is a city, totally pointless really. 

• Like 3

Costly and pointless. Rob Callister and Allinson will milk this for years thinking it will help bring in the 500,000 tourists a year. The 6 Douglas MHKs will be cock a hoop with joy waiting for the ceremony to confer city centre, along with the council. 

Still David Ashford will be overjoyed …………….. as it’s created better headlines, and taken the focus away from his antics.

Edited by 2112
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Amadeus said:

We got it :)

DISTINGUISHED DOUGLAS CELEBRATES CITY STATUS!

Thankp.png

Douglas is celebrating after being awarded ‘city’ status by Her Majesty the Queen as part of her Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

Douglas Borough Council applied for city status as part of a Civic Honours competition, alongside 38 other local authorities from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories.

Other places to apply included Ballymena in County Antrim, Dunfermline in Fife, Stanley in the Falkland Islands, Marazion in Cornwall, and Wrexham in Clywd.

Mayor of Douglas Janet Thommeny said: ‘We are thrilled with this news! It is an honour of civic pride for Douglas and everyone who lives and works here to receive this recognition and I’m sure everyone connected with the town – or should I say, city! – will be incredibly proud.

‘Our commiserations to our friends in Peel, who we hope can gain city status in the future. We are grateful to the Douglas Members of the House of Keys who wholeheartedly supported and encouraged our bid.’

Fittingly, the accolade comes in the year after the Borough of Douglas celebrated its 125th anniversary.

Can this now be a catalyst for change within DBC and IOM government? I think most people would agree the island is shabby, but as many have pointed out, a good maintenance programme will save huge amounts of money in the long term. And, improvements do not have to cost millions and millions. A bit of foresight and proper planning could make towns across the island nice places to visit for both residents and visitors. Villers 'square.' Just pave it and stick a few benches in there...i mean really! Landscape it, plant it, maintain it and people will use it. Everything is half arsed or full on overkill, theres just no happy medium.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Manx17 said:

They probably know it’s going to cost a fortune 

all the stationary and signage will be changed  and we must have a new logo   , they cant manage a weekly bin collection  but the city fathers will be wasting  lots of ratepayers money on nice to haves , time  they were lumped  in with an eastern  district local authority  and we stopped all this waste  and dick waving 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1