City of Douglas

Amadeus

2 minutes ago, 2bees said:

Good morning Rox :) 

@Amadeus what is that post? Peel isn’t bothered, the only people who care are Douglas council, run along dear, go pat your friends on the back. Oh you’re all so amazing - well done 🤢🤮🤢🤮🤢

I dont know Amadeus, but he seems like he wants to try and make a change, so cant we give him a chance and stop knocking him? As I asked earlier, can this now be a catalyst, a time for those civil servants to turn over a new leaf and serve us rather than themselves. Cut the red tape, cut the crap and lets do this!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Stamps? I guess a whole schedule of jollies will now be planned by councillors and MHKs, specifically aimed at wasting ratepayers and taxpayers cash, all in the name of promotion. The first waste of money will probably be the rebranding of the Council, it’s stationery and corporate identity. 

No money to fix things but there will be money to celebrate. 

The below definition indicates that now Douglas has achieved 'city' status, reference to or use of the word 'borough' will become obsolete, so a huge and costly rebranding exercise will undoubtedly be an immediate and overriding priority. 

Standby for the imminent release of details of the most grandiose plans and schemes to achieve this objective.

Sensible money will be on the relocation of the Borough cemetery...for starters.  

image.png.e9bb3631530ac3b13b5f45b25fd902bb.png

55 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

Can this now be a catalyst for change within DBC and IOM government? I think most people would agree the island is shabby, but as many have pointed out, a good maintenance programme will save huge amounts of money in the long term. And, improvements do not have to cost millions and millions. A bit of foresight and proper planning could make towns across the island nice places to visit for both residents and visitors. Villers 'square.' Just pave it and stick a few benches in there...i mean really! Landscape it, plant it, maintain it and people will use it. Everything is half arsed or full on overkill, theres just no happy medium.

Struggling to see how the status of Douglas is going to act as a catalyst for change.  Amadeus I have no doubt wants to change things, but Clare wells is too afraid to even go on manxradio.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Struggling to see how the status of Douglas is going to act as a catalyst for change.  Amadeus I have no doubt wants to change things, but Clare wells is too afraid to even go on manxradio.

Anything can act as a catalyst if the will is there.

54 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

Can this now be a catalyst for change within DBC and IOM government? I think most people would agree the island is shabby, but as many have pointed out, a good maintenance programme will save huge amounts of money in the long term. And, improvements do not have to cost millions and millions. A bit of foresight and proper planning could make towns across the island nice places to visit for both residents and visitors. Villers 'square.' Just pave it and stick a few benches in there...i mean really! Landscape it, plant it, maintain it and people will use it. Everything is half arsed or full on overkill, theres just no happy medium.

They don’t have to cost millions but they will. They need not take too long but they will take years to complete. Don’t forget that consultants will need to be employed and DBCs and IOMG pet contractors, will need to be given the job. It’s almost like a what’s in it for us attitude, or why should we be bothered? Conferring City Status won’t make the promenade or the shitty parts of the capital any cleaner, least of all any quicker. It will boost the egos of DBC councillors, and the 6 Douglas MHKs who will be hoping for for nice few receptions, or possible trip to Buck House at the taxpayers/ratepayers expense.

2 minutes ago, cissolt said:

What, and possibly be questioned or held accountable for some of her decisions etc?   Perish the thought. 

If local politics in the last week or so has taught us anything (it hasn't, most of us already knew), it's that responsibility and accountability is taboo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cissolt said:

There is change within the chamber for sure. Just look who we elected chair of the housing committee recently. Dynamics in council are changing. Old vs New Guard and the new kids are starting to win. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

There is change within the chamber for sure. Just look who we elected chair of the housing committee recently. Dynamics in council are changing. Old vs New Guard and the new kids are starting to win. 

By new kids you mean the 50 year old unelected baldies?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I'm as negative on IOM as the next person, but I do have hope. Can you start by digging up the weeds on the prom and doing something with it - this side of TT? Tall order but people need to see change happening, and fact.

7 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

I'm as negative on IOM as the next person, but I do have hope. Can you start by digging up the weeds on the prom and doing something with it - this side of TT? Tall order but people need to see change happening, and fact.

The wild flowers take a while to blossom, hence we weedy look. 

• Haha 1