City of Douglas

Amadeus

On 5/20/2022 at 10:01 AM, Amadeus said:

The wild flowers take a while to blossom, hence we weedy look. 

On 5/20/2022 at 10:35 AM, TheTeapot said:

Oh ffs Amadeus take your head out of your ass.

So I thought I might have been a bit harsh with this response, but as it happens I'm in The City right now with nothing much to do so I've been for a look.

It is full of docks, dandelions, buttercup, plantain and thistle. Many others too including some bind weed and the notoriously difficult to remove when established buddleia.

I can't upload photos on mobile because of the stupid small limit, bit might chuck a few up later when I'm home.

It's a fucking mess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

So I thought I might have been a bit harsh with this response, but as it happens I'm in The City right now with nothing much to do so I've been for a look.

It is full of docks, dandelions, buttercup, plantain and thistle. Many others too including some bind weed and the notoriously difficult to remove when established buddleia.

I can't upload photos on mobile because of the stupid small limit, bit might chuck a few up later when I'm home.

It's a fucking mess.

perhaps some of the City fathers should get a copy of the weeds act and see exactly what they could be liable for ,  if they are not cut down or removed  before a certain date , 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Some of it may have to do with staff shortages. 

Some of it may......so your really saying you dont know why the many issues havent been addressed. But I noticed my rates bill has only gone up despite the possibility of the DBC wage bill being lower than usual. Come on Amadeus dont take me for a idiot. I'm already faced with fortnightly bin collections which is a reduction in services but still rates went up and then we have the abject failure to deal with basic responsibilities. Not good enough sadly. Bet your not short of managers or senior staff though !!   

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's a fucking mess.

DBC being influenced by DEFA "re-wilding" policies maybe...? All in the name of "savings", naturally 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Some of it may......so your really saying you dont know why the many issues havent been addressed. But I noticed my rates bill has only gone up despite the possibility of the DBC wage bill being lower than usual. Come on Amadeus dont take me for a idiot. I'm already faced with fortnightly bin collections which is a reduction in services but still rates went up and then we have the abject failure to deal with basic responsibilities. Not good enough sadly. Bet your not short of managers or senior staff though !!   

I take your point. I remember doing a facility tour the other week and seeing the flags being prepared and being told flowers to follow shortly thereafter. I’ll ask what the exact schedule is and to be honest, with stuff like the wall we (as in some of the councillors) are now also questioning what we’re being told re insurance and timelines. Despite what some in city hall keep telling us, communication still needs to be improved. Let me check the members bulletin when I get home to see if there’s anything in there. Otherwise I’ll email parks and ask. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I take your point. I remember doing a facility tour the other week and seeing the flags being prepared and being told flowers to follow shortly thereafter. I’ll ask what the exact schedule is and to be honest, with stuff like the wall we (as in some of the councillors) are now also questioning what we’re being told re insurance and timelines. Despite what some in city hall keep telling us, communication still needs to be improved. Let me check the members bulletin when I get home to see if there’s anything in there. Otherwise I’ll email parks and ask. 

Thank you and a refreshing and honest answer which I greatly appreciate as I'm sure others on here also do. As for the wall. My money is on the reluctance to deal with it till the new sea wall is addressed. And as for the kids play area !! . Thats a rip out and renew as it wont pass health and safety. Should be sorted as a matter of urgency along with the wall !!! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Thank you and a refreshing and honest answer which I greatly appreciate as I'm sure others on here also do. As for the wall. My money is on the reluctance to deal with it till the new sea wall is addressed. And as for the kids play area !! . Thats a rip out and renew as it wont pass health and safety. Should be sorted as a matter of urgency along with the wall !!! 

Kids area is already being worked on. Flooring needs to be replaced as unsafe now but apparently it’s hard to get a contractor to do that. I’ll see if there’s an update. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Theres clearly something seriously wrong with DBC as so much which has always happened in time for summer is still not done or in most cases even attempted . Perhaps the members on here could explain why it seems the workforce seems defunct. Even the yearly street clean and removal of weeds and the likes around the streets of Douglas hasn't happened .  

There were workers out on vicarage road area today spraying weeds on pavements etc so assume they will be moving onto other areas

• Like 1

This is the stretch by the crazy paving garden (which also desperately needs weeding btw). It is really tatty, I walked along it, lets take a closer look

No description available.

The floor looks like this, grasses, buttercup, thistles and importantly docks. 

Now, a wildflower mix may have some grasses in it, but thistles and docks? Don't be ridiculous. So that photo is what 80% of the strip looks like, but in among that general level of shit are some much larger things, especially sheltered close to the wall. He's another thistle

That's growing well, it'll look great in flower because thistles do, but there is no way it should be there.

Moving on, here's something I really like, but again I'd be very surprised if this is supposed to be growing. Do you know what it is?

That's right, its a teasel!! Added litter bonus too.

Moving on here's one of those plants that I don't know the name of but is part of the dandelion family. Bear in mind dandelions and docks put down big strong roots

And the buddleia I mentioned earlier, although there are a number of them

There are also a number of these, which I think are possibly some wild variation of the cabbage family, although I am happy to be corrected

And to finish off lets throw in some free drugs. Yes folks, OPIUM FOR THE PEOPLE

I'd argue with anyone who says that this is part of the plan.

It's a fucking disgrace, and it is shameful to try to defend it.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Thanks 6

27 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Peel is the only city on the Isle of Man.

Peel, Isle of Man

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peel (Manx: Purt ny h-Inshey – Port of the Island) is a seaside town and small fishing port in the Isle of Man,

Sorry to burst your bubble there son...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

This is the stretch by the crazy paving garden (which also desperately needs weeding btw). It is really tatty, I walked along it, lets take a closer look

I'd argue with anyone who says that this is part of the plan.

It's a fucking disgrace, and it is shameful to try to defend it.

Spot on post. Are they going to do anything to fix it in the next 7 days?

• Haha 1