City of Douglas

Amadeus

29 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

This is the stretch by the crazy paving garden (which also desperately needs weeding btw). It is really tatty, I walked along it, lets take a closer look

No description available.

The floor looks like this, grasses, buttercup, thistles and importantly docks. 

Now, a wildflower mix may have some grasses in it, but thistles and docks? Don't be ridiculous. So that photo is what 80% of the strip looks like, but in among that general level of shit are some much larger things, especially sheltered close to the wall. He's another thistle

That's growing well, it'll look great in flower because thistles do, but there is no way it should be there.

Moving on, here's something I really like, but again I'd be very surprised if this is supposed to be growing. Do you know what it is?

That's right, its a teasel!! Added litter bonus too.

Moving on here's one of those plants that I don't know the name of but is part of the dandelion family. Bear in mind dandelions and docks put down big strong roots

And the buddleia I mentioned earlier, although there are a number of them

There are also a number of these, which I think are possibly some wild variation of the cabbage family, although I am happy to be corrected

And to finish off lets throw in some free drugs. Yes folks, OPIUM FOR THE PEOPLE

I'd argue with anyone who says that this is part of the plan.

It's a fucking disgrace, and it is shameful to try to defend it.

Ah but DBC (like other authorities) will have a £50k pa Environmental Officer to say that these are valuable, diverse species that are aiding the Island's biosphere status and that this area is now a protected, sensitive verge that can't be interfered with under any circumstances.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

This is the stretch by the crazy paving garden (which also desperately needs weeding btw). It is really tatty, I walked along it, lets take a closer look

The floor looks like this, grasses, buttercup, thistles and importantly docks. 

Now, a wildflower mix may have some grasses in it, but thistles and docks? Don't be ridiculous. So that photo is what 80% of the strip looks like, but in among that general level of shit are some much larger things, especially sheltered close to the wall. He's another thistle

That's growing well, it'll look great in flower because thistles do, but there is no way it should be there.

Moving on, here's something I really like, but again I'd be very surprised if this is supposed to be growing. Do you know what it is?

That's right, its a teasel!! Added litter bonus too.

Moving on here's one of those plants that I don't know the name of but is part of the dandelion family. Bear in mind dandelions and docks put down big strong roots

And the buddleia I mentioned earlier, although there are a number of them

There are also a number of these, which I think are possibly some wild variation of the cabbage family, although I am happy to be corrected

And to finish off lets throw in some free drugs. Yes folks, OPIUM FOR THE PEOPLE

I'd argue with anyone who says that this is part of the plan.

It's a fucking disgrace, and it is shameful to try to defend it.

Imagine if we spent the £750k the horse trams lose every year on a bit of TLC around the place? It would work wonders and nobody would notice the trams disappear. 

I have some Greater Celandine in my back yard, they can have that. Invasive, spreads like wildfire so it'll be at Derby Castle in a week! Toxic too, so any little buggers who think it's fun to trample through gardens will get a bit of a shock! Serve the little buggers right!!!

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

DBC being influenced by DEFA "re-wilding" policies maybe...? All in the name of "savings", naturally 😁

Influenced by ‘The Archers’ probably. I don’t follow the programme myself, but whenever I catch a snippet re-wilding is all they seem to go on about 

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Influenced by ‘The Archers’ probably. I don’t follow the programme myself, but whenever I catch a snippet re-wilding is all they seem to go on about 

re-wilding, jeez and then the idiots will complain about civil unrest because there is so little food or they will complain about the environment because of all the transport needed to bring in food from other parts of the world. That will be ok of course because we will have sailing ships, horses and carts and oxen and ploughs..... ah, strike that, oxen produce methane..............lol 😮

21 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It really is a strategic PR screw up. It should have gone to Peel.

It should have gone to anywhere other than Douglas Shitty (or the Shitty of Douglas) whichever it’s going to be called.

Edited by Bandits
Grammar
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It really is a strategic PR screw up. It should have gone to Peel.

No, that would be fucking nuts. Can you imagine giving novelty city status to a tiny fishing village that isn't even the biggest settlement on a small island, when big UK towns like Reading are missing out? Douglas is the capital and the seat of Government at least. It might not be a shining nirvana of fresh paint and functioning sea-walls, but it's the least-worst option. Giving it to Peel on the basis of a small parish-church-cathedral would be a joke - imagine the media coverage and the flak the decision would generate. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

No, that would be fucking nuts. Can you imagine giving novelty city status to a tiny fishing village that isn't even the biggest settlement on a small island, when big UK towns like Reading are missing out? Douglas is the capital and the seat of Government at least. It might not be a shining nirvana of fresh paint and functioning sea-walls, but it's the least-worst option. Giving it to Peel on the basis of a small parish-church-cathedral would be a joke - imagine the media coverage and the flak the decision would generate. 

But then the same body gave Howie a CBE.

17 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I take your point. I remember doing a facility tour the other week and seeing the flags being prepared and being told flowers to follow shortly thereafter. I’ll ask what the exact schedule is and to be honest, with stuff like the wall we (as in some of the councillors) are now also questioning what we’re being told re insurance and timelines. Despite what some in city hall keep telling us, communication still needs to be improved. Let me check the members bulletin when I get home to see if there’s anything in there. Otherwise I’ll email parks and ask. 

You are not suggesting that your own "cs" are not telling their political masters the whole truth are you ? 🙂 

Wonder where they got that idea fom?