City of Douglas

Amadeus

Drunk druggies and pissheads shouting and arguing their way home early Sunday morning after visiting 3:30am licensed establishments.

Yep, Douglas really is becoming a fucking city and all that goes with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Imagine giving it to a dilapidated shithole that isn't even maintained to a basic standard?

Good point, well made. But just an observation - probably best not to use "delapidated shithole" when attempting a comparison to Peel, which literally dumps all of its shit out of a hole into the bay, past the broken skatepark, closed shops, abandoned hotels, silt-filled marina and ramshackle industrial estate. People will be confused which one you're referring to. 

• Haha 1

I'm quite enjoying the back-and-forth town banter, but irl I don't get why we can't celebrate one of our towns getting city status. Got to be a good thing for the IOM, even if it's just some extra news coverage before the holiday season. When I hear one of the parochials bleating about it, it brings to mind one of those yokels jealously fuming about "THAT London" in a West-Country accent whilst pumping their fists furiously. Is it just butthurt? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Bastard said:

No, that would be fucking nuts. Can you imagine giving novelty city status to a tiny fishing village that isn't even the biggest settlement on a small island, when big UK towns like Reading are missing out? Douglas is the capital and the seat of Government at least. It might not be a shining nirvana of fresh paint and functioning sea-walls, but it's the least-worst option. Giving it to Peel on the basis of a small parish-church-cathedral would be a joke - imagine the media coverage and the flak the decision would generate. 

Well they made St Davids in Wales a City in 1994 and that's even smaller than Peel (pop 1600 v Peel's 5710), though it does have a cathedral.  And in the same batch of cities as Douglas was Stanley in the Falklands (pop 2500).  So size clearly isn't everything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well they made St Davids in Wales a City in 1994 and that's even smaller than Peel (pop 1600 v Peel's 5710), though it does have a cathedral.  And in the same batch of cities as Douglas was Stanley in the Falklands (pop 2500).  So size clearly isn't everything.

I'm sure you say that a lot. True, but with 2 city candidates - a capital with the commercial centre of the island, a seat of government and largest population versus a small fishing town whose selling point was a small cathedral, realistically there would only be one winner. City status only depended on cathedrals in medieval times. It's a significant moment really, the one opportunity in history we're likely to get for such a high-profile award, got to be a good thing that we actually succeeded. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

Maybe invest in some earplugs if you don’t like the noise that comes with living in the middle of town?

Expect the same again tonight after the football this afternoon.

I really don’t get people who live in a town complaining about noise.

Err. It's a city. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Err. It's a city. 

most European  cities I have frequented ,wash the main shopping area and associated streets every morning , the area under the Villa  and in front of the cafe  is filthy  some of the gulley suckers and street cleaning machines are fitted with sprays and jet washers , but you never see them being used in anger , I guess this is down to poor man  management , it will take the Corpy all its time to empty the  litter bins over the next few weeks ,  and where I am going to  put the new recycling bin and the one for green waste ,that I don't even have a garden for I don't know , 

more  unwanted  expense  and add this to being granted City status  the rates are only going to go one way   UP !

• Like 1