City of Douglas

Amadeus

40 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

How much is the cathedral going to cost?

You don't need a cathedral to be a city - for example Bath, Cambridge, Hull, Lancaster, Nottingham and Plymouth to name a few. Also, having a cathedral doesn't always make a town a city, for example Bury St Edmunds

Edited by kevster

I object to this as it is quite clearly some Townhall Vanity Project that someone thinks will be a glorious success.

I imagine this would come at a ridiculous cost to Douglas ratepayers - the bill for providing new Hi-vis and slightly less tatty embroidered fleeces for the staff alone will be long thousands.

Another magnificent example of Turd Polishing.

However they could possibly have sold the Chewing Gum machine for £50 more if it said "City Council" on the side................

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Exactly, if Tynwald can declare Onchan a village and Ramsey a town, it can declare Peel and Douglas cities and Port Erin a prefecture.

It would be fun to see the villages and towns restyled as Communes.

Kind of edgy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Declan said:

Not a bad idea. Romantically, historically, I think I prefer the idea of Peel city. But Douglas is town with island wide impact, is the capital of a nation, and known more widely. But if we can't have both being called cities and have to plump for one I'd go for Peel. 

Although, what's the point of self-determination if you can't determine whether your towns are cities or not without looking externally. Perhaps Tynwald could just pass an act recognising that Peel has always been a city since time immortal and declaring Douglas a city in honour of the Queen's jubilee (need to keep them sweet for Royal Assent). 

Douglas has island-wide impact to everyone's wallet to pay for the prom fiasco. 

I have an open mind, as long as someone can prove to me that Douglas isn't the shithole that I believe that it is, has a bright prosperous future with tangible plans to address all of its many shortcomings as an architectural wasteland, with hopeless nightlife, filthy unmaintained streets and narrow minded, 'can't do' officials running the show?  

Douglas has the population of a UK small provincial town. What attributes does it have to justify city status being conferred up it?

Where the expense starts is in how much did it cost Douglas ratepayers in time and salaries of the Chief Executive and his minions to prepare the submitted report?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I have an open mind, as long as someone can prove to me that Douglas isn't the shithole that I believe that it is, has a bright prosperous future with tangible plans to address all of its many shortcomings as an architectural wasteland, with hopeless nightlife, filthy unmaintained streets and narrow minded, 'can't do' officials running the show?  

How would not having it declared a city improve any of things you list? It might incentivise civic pride and prompt improvements.  But there's no aesthetic barriers to qualification - see Stoke, Bradford, Swansea

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

How would not having it declared a city improve any of things you list? It might incentivise civic pride and prompt improvements.  But there's no aesthetic barriers to qualification - see Stoke, Bradford, Swansea

It will make the local officials feel even more importanter than they already do. Mayor of the City of Douglas sounds a bit more grand than just Mayor of Douglas... 

Did they ever find that missing chain?

• Like 2