City of Douglas

Amadeus

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Where do the Port Heroin addicts live? It's a nice village with no obvious shithole bits. 

I don't think the particular place is relevant, although in the early days, about 25 years ago Ballakilley Close was featured on a number of occasions in newspaper reports of class A drugs offenders. It's a nice enough place.

All traceable to one piece of shit, but under current woke awaredness I don't think people can be referred to as such. Even though they are, and they contribute nothing to, and only destroy a society.

2 hours ago, WTF said:

usually social housing.

Here we go. The visible ones maybe, but you might be unpleasantly surprised.

Or, who are the people most likely to take heroin, and why? Are they in social housing/rented accomodation because they take heroin, or do they take heroin because of some trauma, whatever, that has also affected their ability to function in this society?

To be honest, most of the smack heads I know of in Ramsey aren't actually that visible. They aren't out kicking off all the time. People on coke are a pain in the arse, and certainly are not confined to the working classes you seem to despise.

As a social housing tenant, I do get pissed off with this knee jerk reaction that anything that is a bit shit about this island eminates from social housing.

As do a lot of care workers, street cleaners, tradesmen, shop assistants etc but hey, that doesn't fit your narrative.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well got to say I go into 1886 loads when its the football season . I have never seen any sign of dealing or taking of drugs in all those times. I am not a big drinker either and quite switched on and observant when out and think I would have spotted any dodgy stuff going on if it was widespread. Clearly where people congregate socially in numbers I'm sure its happening just I havent seen it. I also in all my years here out and about again never been offered or seen anything untoward elsewhere . I have a total disdain for anything drug related tbh but thats just me.     

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, kevster said:

It's not the sort of thing you do sitting at the bar.

Fair point but I do move you know . If not regularly to the toilets then to acknowledge friends etc . Also tbf I'm usually gone by not long after 10. Although in there till gone 12 last night .

Edited by Numbnuts

48 minutes ago, Declan said:

In the Crazy Triangle?

I'm not totally sure where that is, although I could guess. 

1 hour ago, AOR said:

I don't think the particular place is relevant, although in the early days, about 25 years ago Ballakilley Close was featured on a number of occasions in newspaper reports of class A drugs offenders. It's a nice enough place.

It certainly looks a nice enough place, that's a decent little street of social housing if you ask me.

That's why I was asking really, like I know where some smackheads live in Douglas and you can tell anyway, but I struggle to think of anywhere in Port Erin, and so don't really understand the reputation.

42 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm not totally sure where that is, although I could guess. 

It certainly looks a nice enough place, that's a decent little street of social housing if you ask me.

That's why I was asking really, like I know where some smackheads live in Douglas and you can tell anyway, but I struggle to think of anywhere in Port Erin, and so don't really understand the reputation.

It's a great little place, always has been. 20-25 years ago it had one or two 'problem' tenants.

41 minutes ago, Declan said:

Roughly from the Bridge Bookshop up to the park, then over to the Port, the back to the Bridge.

Ha ha, never heard that. Mate lived in that triangle. Proper smoking den, bongs, playing shithead and loads of music…had some long walks home from there..

thinking on, losing at shithead for the next brew or skinning up felt like the biggest loss ever.

Edited by Gizo
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, AOR said:

All traceable to one piece of shit, but under current woke awaredness I don't think people can be referred to as such. Even though they are, and they contribute nothing to, and only destroy a society.

No, no if said piece of shit is dealing drugs he or she can be referred to as a piece of shit. 'Woke' refers to a person being conscious of social injustice. Hard to see what social injustice anybody could be conscious of in commenting on their reaction to a drug dealer. 

Drug dealers are very popular people. And they get the nicest looking girls too.
That was certainly the case all those years ago.

I find it interesting, with a sense of retrospect, how that scenario turned out.