City of Douglas

Amadeus

55 minutes ago, AOR said:

No.

Solid? Not really. It was a post on an internet forum rather than say, an expert witness account in the High Court.

House prices are high in the Isle of Man. Higher than most cities in UK. It's a simple fact. In another thread someone has quipped "City prices". It's a fair comment.

Beer prices are far lower in many if not most cities in UK, including Lon-don. A simple fact. So again "city prices". 

Who has been pushing for Douglas to have City status? It's not a pot luck sort of thing. I don't know who they were, but someone must have been pushing for it.

Peel has been known as the ancient city for a long time (a couple of centuries anyway). The Peel City Guardian was published for nigh on a century, and not as some sort of ironic title.

Peel should have been officially made a city. Not the Sh@thole (see another thread) that is Douglas.

but these prices havent magically shot up since Douglas became a city......

• Like 1

Cities aren't pretty little fishing villages. They're centres of population and commerce. With that, you get concrete, you get traffic, you get litter and sprawl. When you talk about London, Birmingham of Glasgow, the prettiness of the hanging baskets and the faint smell of fish is not the sole topic of conversation.

I understand the nostalgia about Peel, and it's lovely, but it's not the capital, it's not the business centre, and it's just not very busy. Awarding City status based on a cathedral is medieval thinking. 

Like it or not, Douglas has the capital of Government, the retail centre, the financial centre, the entertainment centre, the ferry port and the largest population of any settlement on the IOM. It would be ridiculous to award City status to anywhere else. Can't you just get over it, now it's over and done ?

33 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

but these prices havent magically shot up since Douglas became a city......

Probably not, but it was providing a somewhat cynical reason to have made Douglas a city

31 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Cities aren't pretty little fishing villages. They're centres of population and commerce. With that, you get concrete, you get traffic, you get litter and sprawl. When you talk about London, Birmingham of Glasgow, the prettiness of the hanging baskets and the faint smell of fish is not the sole topic of conversation.

I understand the nostalgia about Peel, and it's lovely, but it's not the capital, it's not the business centre, and it's just not very busy. Awarding City status based on a cathedral is medieval thinking. 

Like it or not, Douglas has the capital of Government, the retail centre, the financial centre, the entertainment centre, the ferry port and the largest population of any settlement on the IOM. It would be ridiculous to award City status to anywhere else. Can't you just get over it, now it's over and done ?

I don't particularly care if Peel is a city or not, although for a couple of centuries it has been know as an ancient city.

In essence, I don't believe Douglas should have been made a city. All it will do is puff up the egos of politicians. The big fish in a small pond thing is about right, but the ego is absolute rather than relative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AOR said:

Peel should have been officially made a city. Not the Sh@thole (see another thread) that is Douglas.

17 minutes ago, AOR said:

I don't particularly care if Peel is a city or not, although for a couple of centuries it has been know as an ancient city.

I'm confused now. Even more than usual.