City of Douglas

Amadeus

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Except that it still needs Mrs Windsor (or her local factotum, the Governor) to sign it off.  So it still ends up being approved by the same people.

I agree. Our backwards constitutional anomaly of having to run everything by an unelected, hereditary monarch from another country, despite being awash with our own elected representatives, is a much more overdue and pressing change than how we refer to our population centres.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I agree. Our backwards constitutional anomaly of having to run everything by an unelected, hereditary monarch from another country, despite being awash with our own elected representatives, is a much more overdue and pressing change than how we refer to our population centres.

She is still the IOM's head of state though. Even if some people dislike it. Lord of Mann or whatever it is. 

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Douglas has the population of a UK small provincial town. What attributes does it have to justify city status being conferred up it?

Where the expense starts is in how much did it cost Douglas ratepayers in time and salaries of the Chief Executive and his minions to prepare the submitted report?

Why do we always have to belittle and do ourselves down? 

Douglas is a national capital. It has an importance disproportionate to it's size because there's no greater conurbation on the landmass, so it has an economic draw from the rest of the Island. 

There are plenty of smaller cities in the UK anyway. It wouldn't even be in the bottom 10. If you include include the greater Douglas area stop pretending that Onchan isn't part of Douglas it's about the same size as Salisbury, and I don't think anyone's disputing the city status of that. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I have an open mind, as long as someone can prove to me that Douglas isn't the shithole that I believe that it is, has a bright prosperous future with tangible plans to address all of its many shortcomings as an architectural wasteland, with hopeless nightlife, filthy unmaintained streets and narrow minded, 'can't do' officials running the show?  

Should be a walkover based on that. Have you seen some of the UK "cities" (those without cathedrals!)??

10 minutes ago, Declan said:

Why do we always have to belittle and do ourselves down? 

Douglas is a national capital. It has an importance disproportionate to it's size because there's no greater conurbation on the landmass, so it has an economic draw from the rest of the Island. 

There are plenty of smaller cities in the UK anyway. It wouldn't even be in the bottom 10. If you include include the greater Douglas area stop pretending that Onchan isn't part of Douglas it's about the same size as Salisbury, and I don't think anyone's disputing the city status of that. 

I'm not belittling anything - I just want to know what attributes Douglas has that would warrant city status? When I think of Salisbury I think of cathedrals, architecture, long history?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Douglas has the population of a UK small provincial town. What attributes does it have to justify city status being conferred up it?

It's a capital, an important port ,a financial centre, the home of the government, to name but a few.

Why do you think it shouldn't be a city, apart from it not being in the UK?

10 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It's a capital, an important port ,a financial centre, the home of the government, to name but a few.

Why do you think it shouldn't be a city, apart from it not being in the UK?

So is St. Helier, with a greater population and a far better ambiance and appearance; and still a town?

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

So is St. Helier, with a greater population and a far better ambiance and appearance; and still a town?

Think you've been watching too much Bergerac fella, it's half the size of Douglas with Braddan and Onchan alongside and as dull as dishwater.

I agree Douglas is a shithole, I don't see that precludes it from being a city though.