City of Douglas

Amadeus

3 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

If it happens we will get these classic business names at least.

• Douglas Shitty Wok?
  • Douglas Shitty Cabs?
  • Douglas Shitty Pizza?

With apologies to South Park

What you'll get first and foremost is a lot of uprated titles, positions and pomp and ceremony with all the admin costs that go with it. DBC would spend a fortune on that, along with the new signage, crests, flags, even down to departmental headed paper. And to what end? How exactly will it benefit Douglas and its already pressed ratepayers and businesses?

It will be a continuation of the malaise that affects a lot of other governance of the Island, namely appearance over substance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I read the threads but don’t always agree with them and I am entitled to my opinion, and by the way Onchan is not and hopefully never will be part ofDouglas.

It's all one big Conurbation now, might have been Onchan Village a 60-70 years ago but it is undeniable part of Douglas now, Douglas is not comparable to London with it's different boroughs

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

No it isn't. Where are you getting your "facts" from

You don't need any facts have you driven between Douglas and Onchan and seen a nice greenbelt separating the two its built up from Douglas Prom up Summerhill and into Onchan it is just one town

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, James Blonde said:

It will make the local officials feel even more importanter than they already do. Mayor of the City of Douglas sounds a bit more grand than just Mayor of Douglas... 

That actually about the only difference that there is between an English[1] Town and an English City.  A Town has a Mayor, a City has a Lord Mayor.

[1]  Or Welsh.  Scotland as usual has its own funny names for things and no one is really quite sure what the situation is in Ireland.  As usual.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I read the threads but don’t always agree with them and I am entitled to my opinion, and by the way Onchan is not and hopefully never will be part ofDouglas.

To be exact about these things, Douglas is actually part of Onchan (except for South Quay which is part of Braddan).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Amadeus said:

As mentioned in the agenda for the next council meeting, just published on the Douglas website, an application will be made for City status for Douglas. Before the usual Manx crabs kick in again, I think it would be great if we got it. 

Would have made a good April fools, how would Douglas benefit from a City status? Other than make spending sound more acceptable.......