City of Douglas

Amadeus

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

That actually about the only difference that there is between an English[1] Town and an English City.  A Town has a Mayor, a City has a Lord Mayor.

[1]  Or Welsh.  Scotland as usual has its own funny names for things and no one is really quite sure what the situation is in Ireland.  As usual.

We'll need to fund an extension to the Town Hall if there egos get any bigger! 

50 minutes ago, Kopek said:

.... and that is what we expect from City status !!!

If we are representative of Dlas voters/ public opinion, how is Amadeus going to vote on this now?

I'm onboard with the cat idea. 

263093450_572052647225088_2000512906975409451_n.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm not belittling anything - I just want to know what attributes Douglas has that would warrant city status? When I think of Salisbury I think of cathedrals, architecture, long history?

Ahh, Salisbury../Russian accent/..... “famous not just in Europe but in the whole world. It’s famous for its 123-metre spire, it’s famous for its clock"

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

So is St. Helier, with a greater population and a far better ambiance and appearance; and still a town?

Ridiculous argument. Is Douglas supposed to wait it’s turn until St Helier’s been a city for a while before applying? 

43 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No, you can put a lead on them, just don't expect them to do anything but lie on their sides. 

Mystery is like a dog by now. Walks around on a leash no problems. I wish I could let her run around on her own but she's not car aware. Ever since I caught her shagging her boyfriend in the middle of the road, it's leash only. 

This is boyfriend by the way, or ex-boyfriend now as the two have broke up. Pretty sure she ended it. The local guys just don't know how to treat a Greek lady right... 

FD04tMaXoAUEPND.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Declan said:

Ridiculous argument. Is Douglas supposed to wait it’s turn until St Helier’s been a city for a while before applying? 

I think Douglas might be waiting a while...but maybe Liz will be feeling sympathetic to the Govt-burdened Manx and decide to gift a ray of sunshine to lift local spirits in their time of darkness...

Over the weekend I received a Christmas postcard from my South Ward Councillors, which besides bestowing seasonal greetings, also just contained their contact details, the latter of which are already publised on the Douglas Town Council website.  Not quite sure what the point of the card is to be honest, possibly for those without Internet access maybe? 

Anyway, looking to the future, and presumably if city status is accorded, Douglas ratepayers can look forward to receiving many other such pointless 'freebies'......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mysteron said:

Over the weekend I received a Christmas postcard from my South Ward Councillors, which besides bestowing seasonal greetings, also just contained their contact details, the latter of which are already publised on the Douglas Town Council website.  Not quite sure what the point of the card is to be honest, possibly for those without Internet access maybe? 

Anyway, looking to the future, and presumably if city status is accorded, Douglas ratepayers can look forward to receiving many other such pointless 'freebies'......

You mean this one? 

4FD4F628-5B14-436F-8360-425D4A9DC117.jpeg

My idea and we created that to a: introduce the two new councillors to the residents of Douglas South, b: give easy access to our contact details (and also in case someone doesn’t have internet) and c : wish people Merry Christmas. 

Total cost to Douglas ratepayers: zero, as we paid for this ourselves. Done using a local printing company of course. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

You mean this one? 

4FD4F628-5B14-436F-8360-425D4A9DC117.jpeg

My idea and we created that to a: introduce the two new councillors to the residents of Douglas South, b: give easy access to our contact details (and also in case someone doesn’t have internet) and c : wish people Merry Christmas. 

Total cost to Douglas ratepayers: zero, as we paid for this ourselves. Done using a local printing company of course. 

What about the biosphere? How many carbons could have been saved?