City of Douglas

Amadeus

8 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

It must me some kind of plan to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee I bet there will be a shower of applications from all over the UK.

Platinum Jubilee of course - one day left to get get your applications in.  The press release makes the whole thing sound like a slightly tacky competition run by a rather dodgy supermarket chain.  Which seems about right for the current government.

It actually mentions the Crown Dependency thing quite a lot and I wonder if Peel has actually been earmarked for one as somewhere that was historically seen as a City - both St Asaph and Armagh got awarded the status in 2012.

Of course it's going to be embarrassing if Her Maj pops her clogs before 6 Feb and there isn't a Jubilee, but I reckon she'll hang on for couple of years to beat Louis Quatorze and go top of the League.

38 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Platinum Jubilee of course - one day left to get get your applications in.  The press release makes the whole thing sound like a slightly tacky competition run by a rather dodgy supermarket chain.  Which seems about right for the current government.

It actually mentions the Crown Dependency thing quite a lot and I wonder if Peel has actually been earmarked for one as somewhere that was historically seen as a City - both St Asaph and Armagh got awarded the status in 2012.

Of course it's going to be embarrassing if Her Maj pops her clogs before 6 Feb and there isn't a Jubilee, but I reckon she'll hang on for couple of years to beat Louis Quatorze and go top of the League.

Peel has always been known to me as the "Sunset City" since I moved to the Island just over 40 years ago. I'm afraid that Douglas has a long way to go to receive the epithet of "Sunrise City" in my books.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a list of the runners and riders - 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59758549

Some places I would have thought were already cities in that list. 

How many is she going to name? 

If it's one English, one Welsh, one Scottish, one Northern Ireland and one other then I think the Thatcherites in Government will be push Port Stanley ahead of our two champions. 

On 12/6/2021 at 8:11 PM, Omobono said:

...the Cretney Clan singing  hunt the wren , there writing a book  How to Win the Popular vote ....

As long as David doesn't make the front page of the newspaper this time.

We've covered the 'city has a cathedral thing' in this thread, but what makes a big church a cathedral?  Could a Douglas church apply to the bishop for cathedral status and automatically get its town city status?

And, shouldn't a city be large enough that it's got a furrier? One of the random 'facts' I remember from pre-O-level geography lessons when we defined the difference between hamlet/village/town/city.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:18 PM, Roxanne said:

Jesus. Can’t someone get off their arse and do something nice for people  without being ripped to shreds for it? 

When was the last time you did something nice for 3000 people Omobono? 

Jesus did something nice for 5000 people.

14 minutes ago, wrighty said:
15 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Could a Douglas church apply to the bishop for cathedral status and automatically get its town city status?

Don't think that would work, as you can have a cathedral and still not be a city. Quite a few of those around, Guildford being a good example. 

41 minutes ago, wrighty said:

We've covered the 'city has a cathedral thing' in this thread, but what makes a big church a cathedral?  Could a Douglas church apply to the bishop for cathedral status and automatically get its town city status?

And, shouldn't a city be large enough that it's got a furrier? One of the random 'facts' I remember from pre-O-level geography lessons when we defined the difference between hamlet/village/town/city.

Cathedrals (at least official Anglican ones) are designated by an Act of a parliament - in our case the Cathedral Church Act 1980 (amending the Church Act 1895).  The situation is as usual completely different in Scotland.

You must have had a very odd geography teacher.  But then didn't we all.

Edited by Roger Mexico

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

We've may have covered the 'city has a cathedral thing' but some people are labouring under the belief that a cathedral automatically turns a town into a city, when this has been debunked repeatedly in this thread.