City of Douglas

Amadeus

I am not really in favour of the IoM submitting an application as we are quick to try and claim we are separate from the UK so it seems odd we would want to go crawling to the UK Government re this. It is the UK Government that vets the applications and makes the recommendations to the Queen.

I would have thought the IoM should be able to apply to the Queen without any UK Government involvement. Why should a town in the Isle of Man, Falklands, Cayman Islands, Gibraltar etc require the UK Governments approval before it can be called or declared a city. Surely that should be down to their Governments and their head of state.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Lost Login said:

Why should a town in the Isle of Man, Falklands, Cayman Islands, Gibraltar etc require the UK Governments approval before it can be called or declared a city. Surely that should be down to their Governments and their head of state.

It is that is why we are asking them, our real government HMG

On 12/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, hissingsid said:

Peel not only has a Cathedral but a Bishop who works out of it when he is not busy in Tynwald, which I disagree with but another story,  I hope Peel gets it, apparently there are a lot of applications even Port Stanley is having a punt.   Be interesting to see   who is successful .

I do wish they would stop involving religion in important decisions. If you want to be religious then sure. Have at it. But I do feel it should be a personal thing to you and have to impact or effect on anybody else’s life.

I am curious though how much he gets paid. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 3:42 PM, Paulos The Great said:

It’s probably some ploy to make Devon Watson the city’s self-appointed (or is that self-opinionated) King 

isn't Devon a South African ? or some sort of Johnny  foreigner ,? must have a Manxie  as first citizen , 

• Like 1

I dunno. Does anyone in Douglas (or anywhere else for that matter) give any kind of a toss whether Douglas becomes a city or not? Except for Douglas councillors of course. I was outside the town hall the other week and there's a photograph of all of them on an announcement board outside. Massive hats! I wonder how many of them will be standing in the next general election? Not zero, you'll see! There are already manoeuvrings. Not least of all on MF. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1