Annual Anti-Drink/Drug Drive Campaign

Amadeus

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It was nearly 10 years ago. Let it go. 

Why?

He showed himself to be totally unfit for office and made the whole circus look even more useless than usual.

A position in gov comes with a certain level of responsibility which he clearly didn't care about.

Anyone of any real integrity would have walked away but instead he opted to keep his nose in the trough even though he didn't deserve to.

Clearly the only person he cares about in his constituency is himself. Sure you could argue that they're all in it for personal gain but as far as I know none of them go on more jollies of absolutely no benefit to the island and it's people than JW....

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Why?

He showed himself to be totally unfit for office and made the whole circus look even more useless than usual.

A position in gov comes with a certain level of responsibility which he clearly didn't care about.

Anyone of any real integrity would have walked away but instead he opted to keep his nose in the trough even though he didn't deserve to.

Clearly the only person he cares about in his constituency is himself. Sure you could argue that they're all in it for personal gain but as far as I know none of them go on more jollies of absolutely no benefit to the island and it's people than JW....

Yes because no other of us have acted unwisely many years ago. 

“ To err is human, to forgive divine”

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Why?

No regrets in your life at all P.K.? Never done anything daft?

I view the ‘Spewin’ Juan’ episode as comedy, something his mates will take the piss about for ever, but not something that determines his fitness for office. Lighten up. 

• Like 8

On 12/4/2021 at 7:51 PM, Omobono said:

I don't know why we have these   purges at Christmas , Drink driving , use of excessive speed and driving way beyond ones capability is a year round  curse on this Island

By all accounts, in the UK at least, December is the month with the greatest number of drink-drive offenses with 10% of all cases.

It makes sense, it's the party season and it's cold, wet and miserable out. It's much nicer waiting for a bus at 11pm on a summer's night, than a freezing blustery December night.

5 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

By all accounts, in the UK at least, December is the month with the greatest number of drink-drive offenses with 10% of all cases.

It makes sense, it's the party season and it's cold, wet and miserable out. It's much nicer waiting for a bus at 11pm on a summer's night, than a freezing blustery December night.

Your math's don't work.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

No regrets in your life at all P.K.? Never done anything daft?

I view the ‘Spewin’ Juan’ episode as comedy, something his mates will take the piss about for ever, but not something that determines his fitness for office. Lighten up. 

Done countless things that were incredibly stupid and thinking back I'm amazed I'm still here. But I always exercised self-discipline when it was expected of me.

The episode showed how unfit for office he is by demeaning the gravitas of his position.

Going on pointless jollies and then consequently banging in pathetic, penny-pinching X's just makes his self-centred attitude look even worse.

Any administration he is a part of is lessened by his presence.

And we pay for the "privilege" of keeping him there....

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I think people are more likely to drink heavily in summer than winter, pub lunches, beers + BBQS, house parties and events/nights out. I certainly drink more in summer than I ever do in winter. If the figures suggest more people are caught, I would suggest that’s because more effort is made to catch them in the first place, more of the neighbourhood watch/curtain twitcher crew are off work to report incidents and the inclement weather also causes more accidents which in turn leads to more people being tested.

Drink driving is a “ per se” law.ie someone  can be guilty of having a certain alcohol level which increases their probability   of having an accident, even though they have not been involved in an accident.

This doesn’t extend to other areas of drinking - you won't be  charged with having a blood alcohol level that makes it more probable  that you will get into a brawl  or go home and beat your wife ( though for many the correlation may be very sound). 

This has a lot  do with public opinion rather than risk or probabilities.That has changed a lot in the last 2O years or so.From being something very undesirable to now something almost universally very unacceptable  and shameful, almost more akin to a “sin” 

The relationship between a certain alcohol level and the probability of having an accident would seem “ common sense”  but the relationship  it isn’t  really quite as clear- cut as assumed.

However, cars are heavy things and  the results of accidents can be truly nightmarish,  so it seems reasonable that a level is set..

How you “measure”  the “success” of a campaign in terms of “accidents prevented”  rather than “arrests made” though, I don’t  know.

Edited by hampsterkahn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Even distribution would be 8.33%. Is 10% a statistically significant deviation, or within margins of error?

How do you filter out the effect of differential enforcement with the annual December drink drive campaigns by police.

The other peak months in the table produced in the linked article are April & July, also approaching 10%. Any explanation why 30% of cases occur in only 25% of months. 

To know if this is significant we’d need to see the monthly figures over several years.

Finally, it’s offences reported, not offences reported ending up with a conviction. Not sure that’s significant. But I’ve achieved acquittals. 

I always find the reports quite interesting, last week there was one that was 3 times over the limit and told officers they had only had 3 pints, so by that logic even if they’d have had one pint they would be over.

When someone has been caught after drinking in a pub it would be great to go back over the CCTV and see exactly how much they were drinking.

• Like 1