I have 2 cats, both chipped (allows access to the catflap, so more use than just identifying ones squashed in the road) and de-balled. But one of them doesn’t really live with me anymore, popping in once every week or two. I think he’s at a neighbour’s. Is he still my cat?

I always thought that legally, cats were wild animals.  They choose where they live or are welcomed. Which is why they were never licensed, and why you didn’t have to report to the police if you hit one, unlike dogs. 

• Like 2

Just now, wrighty said:

I have 2 cats, both chipped (allows access to the catflap, so more use than just identifying ones squashed in the road) and de-balled. But one of them doesn’t really live with me anymore, popping in once every week or two. I think he’s at a neighbour’s. Is he still my cat?

I always thought that legally, cats were wild animals.  They choose where they live or are welcomed. Which is why they were never licensed, and why you didn’t have to report to the police if you hit one, unlike dogs. 

I thought the dog licensing arose because they were used for hunting, but it could be one of those urban myths. 

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I think it's more that traditionally they weren't seen to have any monetary value.  According to this website (referring to UK)[1]:

If you hit an animal which is covered by The Road Traffic Act 1988 – namely, dogs, goats, horses, cattle, donkeys, mules, sheep and pigs you are legally required to report it to the police.

But if you hit an animal not mentioned in the Road Traffic Act – a cat or a fox for example – you are not required by law to report it but you might want to inform the police of the incident anyway. 

There's a lot more advice on there, though no roadkill recipes.

[1]  The list in the IOM from section 20 of the Road Traffic Act 1985 is "any horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog"

I am a cat lover. My two most recent were both chipped. The one before was not, but I don't think chips existed then (she was born in '83! P.C.s didn't exist!). It is a good idea to have your cat chipped. Apart from ownership, I believe the idea is to link veterinarian records together long term, linked to an animals chip. So if you have to change vet for whatever reason, the animals records can easily follow. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I believe the idea is to link veterinarian records together long term, linked to an animals chip. So if you have to change vet for whatever reason, the animals records can easily follow. 

Should do the same with people perhaps?

3 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

Not that keen on domestic cats,  Ive always thought they just serial killers who kill for fun always picking fights in the early hours of the morning with there whining at each other and they shit in my garden. 

Cats are massive arseholes, I speak as a human slave of multiple feline overlords. I keep mine in, they’re safe from traffic and local small wildlife is safe from them. One thing all felines seem to have in common is a streak of pointless cruelty, denied their usual prey they have to resort to waking me at ungodly hours. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

Not that keen on domestic cats,  Ive always thought they just serial killers who kill for fun always picking fights in the early hours of the morning with there whining at each other and they shit in my garden. 

They're not fighting, they're shagging. If your partner had a barbed willy like a tom's, you'd be screaming and whining too. 

• Haha 1