IOM Construction Sector - Booming…..

Mr Helmut Fromage

Well if its the 'Main contractor' on the prom I'm surprised they have lasted this long . Even in the last minutes for September  they were still saying the job would be finished mid November . But currently had it confirmed that the latest timescale is March . The tram tracks and troublesome points are not due to be fitted till nearer then. And so it goes on . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Reliable enough to know that Yellow Plant on contract doesn’t disappear from both sites overnight and gates locked 

There was certainly a flat bed down there in the last few days picking plant up. 

I presumed it was before the storm but now you've mentioned this...

3 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

2 x whispers.

The company behind the Griddles & South Quay developments has gone the way of the pear.

Large IOM Construction company contracted to the Prom development failed to pay staff last Friday.

Would like to hear neither are true but……….

Is this the large development on Duke Street - global island, opposite M&S? Has that come to an end?

Edited by 2112

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Is this the large development on Duke Street - global island, opposite M&S? Has that come to an end?

It is fronted by an obnoxious little Scottish bloke, Gavin Spiers. If you come across anybody who has had dealings with him they rarely have anything good to say about him and there are a few I have heard saying they wished they knew where he really lived. He is not the guy with the funding though and I am pretty sure that they would have the funds to finance the project if they chose to but I expect like most people in similar positions there is a fair amount of leverage and bank finance. Far more likely is that construction parties have not been paid in full or on time and they have basically pulled their guys and machinery off site. I think Manx Demolition did this when they were demolishing  the property a year or two back. In Glasgow there may be loads of firms desperate for work and that if you piss one off another will step and pick up where the other left off. I don't think the IoM works like that and Spiers may soon find that if carry's on like he has done in the past then he might find it hard to get contractors to work on the project on normal terms. Certainly if I had to advise anybody I know on doing business with him make sure you are covered, ideally with payment up front.

Edited by Lost Login
  • Like 1

Had a look today when in town as hadn't seen the site for a number of weeks. There was sign of life on the Duke Street site but my gut feeling is as the steel work looks done now and being near Xmas its a good place to stop. Next stage will be block work and with shortage of labour and materials and the building trade closing through Xmas and New Year I'm thinking the halt is nothing sinister . Lots of blockwork so my guess is gangs from UK will come over to carry it out. I could be wrong but dont think so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Had a look today when in town as hadn't seen the site for a number of weeks. There was sign of life on the Duke Street site but my gut feeling is as the steel work looks done now and being near Xmas its a good place to stop. Next stage will be block work and with shortage of labour and materials and the building trade closing through Xmas and New Year I'm thinking the halt is nothing sinister . Lots of blockwork so my guess is gangs from UK will come over to carry it out. I could be wrong but dont think so. 

How does that fit in with helmets conspiracy theory 😉

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

How does that fit in with helmets conspiracy theory 😉

Well we will know in early January. My bets are still everythings fine and just all about timing . The site is very tidy but there is a hydraulic lift still there and ladders etc . Tidiest site I've ever seen though and have worked on a few .  Not saying the Helmut is wrong though. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 5:47 PM, Numbnuts said:

Well we will know in early January. My bets are still everythings fine and just all about timing . The site is very tidy but there is a hydraulic lift still there and ladders etc . Tidiest site I've ever seen though and have worked on a few .  Not saying the Helmut is wrong though. 

No obvious return to site yet!

• Like 1