IOM Construction Sector - Booming…..

Mr Helmut Fromage

The trouble is that any new apartments are never going to have a nice view on the island, especially in Douglas

The island is generally, as another thread says a sh1thole, looking very poor, worst I have ever seen it in my time here.

Sad but true

Not a long term problem however, new display/ monitor screen resolutions of 8k plus means you don't need windows, have an 8K screen on your wall that looks like a window and you could be somewhere attractive like the Dales or even  Cornwall............ 🙂

Allinson has been on the NPM in Skellyesque mode, claiming the Starship Enterprise has funded nearly 300 jobs in the islands egaming and finance sectors. How many of these jobs were local jobs or how many of these were jobs filled by imported labour? Tourism and Retailing on the island are the neglected sectors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Allinson has been on the NPM in Skellyesque mode, claiming the Starship Enterprise has funded nearly 300 jobs in the islands egaming and finance sectors. How many of these jobs were local jobs or how many of these were jobs filled by imported labour? Tourism and Retailing on the island are the neglected sectors.

At a guess I would probably say at least 50% are imported labour. 

We fundamentally don't have the work force numbers or skills to fill these positions at the moment. 

I've been looking for finance and tech candidates locally recently, so is everyone else in the industry.  There isn't anyone. 

Cue someone telling me that importing young, skilled, well paid people to the Island is a bad thing.

15 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

We fundamentally don't have the work force numbers or skills to fill these positions at the moment. 

I've been looking for finance and tech candidates locally recently, so is everyone else in the industry.  There isn't anyone. 

Cue someone telling me that importing young, skilled, well paid people to the Island is a bad thing.

I think you'll find its much more than 50% .  

33 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I’m not suggesting that in this instance, but it’s not brilliant to boast/dick wave at the expense of other sectors such as hospitality, tourism and retail. Very insensitive in my opinion. These sectors contribute as much as any sectors. There are one or two small businesses owners that I’m sure are members on here. Do I think they will be happy to learn Allinsons boast? No! They will be furious as they are jumping through hoops, some getting rejected, whilst finance and egaming have support from IOMG and the CoC. 

Ashy claims the last tranche of Covid handouts are coming to an end. So perhaps small businesses can go to hell in a handcart, tourism, hospitality and retail can close and make people redundant. It doesn’t matter, people can and be a phone jockey at a egaming firm or work for a bank in anti money laundering or working in the banks call centre. To some it’s work, but to others it’s soulless. 

Edited by 2112

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

I think the more pertinent question is, why are we funding jobs for these two very rich sectors anyway? 

They already get a very good tax deal and other perks, and the staff if graduates from across will get thousands in NI breaks.

So why do we need to fund the jobs too? 

Would these jobs not have happened were they not funded? In which case are they jobs that are needed or are they jobs which are created to exploit government funding.

Sounds a bit shady to me 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think the more pertinent question is, why are we funding jobs for these two very rich sectors anyway? 

They already get a very good tax deal and other perks, and the staff if graduates from across will get thousands in NI breaks.

So why do we need to fund the jobs too? 

Would these jobs not have happened were they not funded? In which case are they jobs that are needed or are they jobs which are created to exploit government funding.

Sounds a bit shady to me 

Govt doesn't 'fund' the jobs.  They provide allowances, grants for relocation and capital expenditure, things like that.   It's a short-term investment from Govt for a longterm (hopeful) gain against the taxes to be paid and spending power into the economy for these employees. 

Yeah of course it's shady.  All of it.  Extra jobs on the Island are awful.  Juan the unemployed smackhead from Pully would definitely be able to be the Financial Director of a Software Development company. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Govt doesn't 'fund' the jobs.  They provide allowances, grants for relocation and capital expenditure, things like that.   It's a short-term investment from Govt for a longterm (hopeful) gain against the taxes to be paid and spending power into the economy for these employees. 

Yeah of course it's shady.  All of it.  Extra jobs on the Island are awful.  Juan the unemployed smackhead from Pully would definitely be able to be the Financial Director of a Software Development company. 

That’s a bit discriminatory against those from Pully. You will get hammered from the Manx Labour Party.

8 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Yes I get that, the point I was making was why? Why do they need to provide these incentives as well as the ones already offered? Is there any evidence these jobs wouldn't have happened without it?

I think writing off all Manx residents as "Juan the smackhead from Pulrose" is not much of an attitude to take either.

I know of several Manx people myself included who really struggle to gain qualifications due to funding being far less than elsewhere, making it almost impossible.

23 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Are you suggesting a Software Development Company wouldn't bother employing a financial director unless the Government funded these expenses?

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes I get that, the point I was making was why? Why do they need to provide these incentives as well as the ones already offered? Is there any evidence these jobs wouldn't have happened without it?

They are adding an incentive to setting up the companies here versus the UK or any of the other offshore jurisdictions.  There is real competition for where these businesses are to be set-up. 

Even though there are benefits such as the low tax etc, the reality is that some employees of companies would be reticent to set-up here because we're a little  windswept rock in the middle of the Irish Sea.  But then they find out they can get a grant for relocation or buying a server/property etc and instantly it becomes a much more attractive proposal. 

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Are you suggesting a Software Development Company wouldn't bother employing a financial director unless the Government funded these expenses?

I'm suggesting that there might not be any local candidates for the job and in order to attract the candidates, they need to sprinkle some glitter on the position.