IOM Construction Sector - Booming…..

Mr Helmut Fromage

9 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

They are adding an incentive to setting up the companies here versus the UK or any of the other offshore jurisdictions.  There is real competition for where these businesses are to be set-up. 

Even though there are benefits such as the low tax etc, the reality is that some employees of companies would be reticent to set-up here because we're a little  windswept rock in the middle of the Irish Sea.  But then they find out they can get a grant for relocation or buying a server/property etc and instantly it becomes a much more attractive proposal. 

So where do you draw the line? We give them by and large 0% corporate tax, low tax for their employees, national insurance holidays and now relocation and other expenses. 

Despite having done this for many years, decades in some cases, we're constantly told that Government finances are tight and seen a steady decline in public services over recent years.

An average young person on the island can not afford half a house here, we have a growing food bank and are currently having to subsidise heating bills with million of pounds of public money.

Can we really afford to be paying businesses to relocate here ( and pay little or no tax) and then pay to import staff to come and work for them?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I'm suggesting that there might not be any local candidates for the job and in order to attract the candidates, they need to sprinkle some glitter on the position. 

Thereby attracting residents who see the island as a cash cow "windswept rock" rather than just a "windswept rock."

Should do wonders for our happy inclusive society.

8 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

So where do you draw the line? We give them by and large 0% corporate tax, low tax for their employees, national insurance holidays and now relocation and other expenses. 

Despite having done this for many years, decades in some cases, we're constantly told that Government finances are tight and seen a steady decline in public services over recent years.

An average young person on the island can not afford half a house here, we have a growing food bank and are currently having to subsidise heating bills with million of pounds of public money.

Can we really afford to be paying businesses to relocate here ( and pay little or no tax) and then pay to import staff to come and work for them?

I think you'll find the tight Govt finances are mainly due to the Govt excess and spunking their revenue up against a wall rather than an actual lack of revenue. 

Think Pokerstars or Microgaming would be here without the initial glitter that was provided by Govt?  I mean they don't employee anyone or contribute to the economy or society in anyway. 

Fuck it.  Lets not bother trying to attract any new business. 

You any good at farming or fishing?   

Incase you were considering reverting to an agrarian lifestyle, all agriculture is done elsewhere cheaper and our seas have been fished out. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I think you'll find the tight Govt finances are mainly due to the Govt excess and spunking their revenue up against a wall rather than an actual lack of revenue. 

Think Pokerstars or Microgaming would be here without the initial glitter that was provided by Govt?  I mean they don't employee anyone or contribute to the economy or society in anyway. 

Fuck it.  Lets not bother trying to attract any new business. 

You any good at farming or fishing?   

Incase you were considering reverting to an agrarian lifestyle, all agriculture is done elsewhere cheaper and our seas have been fished out. 

Same old lazy unimaginative politics. "We have to pay businesses to be here and people to live here because otherwise it would be spuds and herring"

Generally spouted by someone who's doing rather well out of the arrangement.

Imagination, innovative, morality, improving society doesn't come into it.

Just take the easy, same old minimum input approach of giving rich companies and individuals anything they like and watch the money trickle in, it'll make the people that matter rich, the rest of us can eat cake.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The NPM this afternoon is running a story about Cowley Groves offshoot CG Red Estate Agency offering to sell properties at a flat fee of £750, up to a value of £350,000. Claiming this will stimulate the market. I thought the market was booming, I’m struggling to reconcile. So now there is a shortage of houses for estate agents to sell? 

• Like 2

Think it’s more likely to do with there market share as the new kids on the block over the last few years have taken a big percentage of the market,  Garforth Gray chap leading the way, I never come across a benevolent estate agent, every penny’s a prisoner usually but if this stunt works and others follow then that’ll save you a bob or two, Wouldn’t it also be nice if advocates followed suit and dropped there conveyance fees.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Think it’s more likely to do with there market share as the new kids on the block over the last few years have taken a big percentage of the market,  Garforth Gray chap leading the way, I never come across a benevolent estate agent, every penny’s a prisoner usually but if this stunt works and others follow then that’ll save you a bob or two, Wouldn’t it also be nice if advocates followed suit and dropped there conveyance fees.

Lawyers fee reduced for conveyancing? No chance will that happen. Though there is a chance as the islands legal services are being reviewed by Lord Edward Garnier QC, so there is some hope. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2021 at 7:43 PM, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

2 x whispers.

The company behind the Griddles & South Quay developments has gone the way of the pear.

Large IOM Construction company contracted to the Prom development failed to pay staff last Friday.

Would like to hear neither are true but……….

So Helmut, who's been spreading the bullshit?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=66000&headline=Duke Street works have restarted&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2022

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

Brilliant - watch this space or the space formerly Griddles or the even bigger space on South Quay - best of luck to them if it gets going again and ultimately finished. It is going to be interesting to see which local contractors and plant providers are on board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, piebaps said:

'Building work continues' isn't normally a headline is it?  Even in the Manx papers.  So it suggests that something has been going on.  And there's an interesting comment on that piece.

I'd heard that the guy behind it is a bit of twat and shall we say diligently haggles payments due.... 

Probably what had happened.  Was probably arguing payment for whoever is starting the next stage after the steelwork has been completed and has only just reached some sort of settlement. 

I know someone that fought him for months over some payment (I think for that development). 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I see the site offices have now been removed on South Quay leaving a big hole in the ground and chunks of fencing missing.

Another great success story for construction in Douglas.

It'll make a great temporary car park in a few weeks.

• Like 1