Toxic Waste Disposal

alriteyessir

I read Ripsaw's bit about

The trees will to a certain extent help to muffle some noise,

is this an assumption or fact ?

have you never noticed how noise actually echoes through the trees, I have heard it with dogs barking somewhere in a forest when out walking (not in Archallaghan)

I find it disconcerting that it was said that the dump wil go ahead despite objections, isn't there a proper process to all these things ?

ps.

why don't they put it all in the quarries where there is a big hole already, like poortown, and there are already wagons coming and going all day with good roads to the site ? (or do as the Norwegians do, tunnel into a hillside somewhere and completely hide it, but their rocks are somewhat more solid than our slate hills)

I find it disconcerting that it was said that the dump wil go ahead despite objections, isn't there a proper process to all these things ?

Maybe they can't find anywhere else, I genuinely don't know where would be the best place. Where would you put it?

I read Ripsaw's bit about

The trees will to a certain extent help to muffle some noise,

is this an assumption or fact ?

have you never noticed how noise actually echoes through the trees, I have heard it with dogs barking somewhere in a forest when out walking (not in Archallaghan)

ps.

why don't they put it all in the quarries where there is a big hole already, like poortown, and there are already wagons coming and going all day with good roads to the site ? (or do as the Norwegians do, tunnel into a hillside somewhere and completely hide it, but their rocks are somewhat more solid than our slate hills)

Thanks for taking the time to read through my scribbles.

It is fact that objects have an effect on the transmission of sound.

The ammount of effect may be minimal as there are variables such as initial volume, frequency, wind direction etc. It was an assumption that they would have some positive effect, but I am not qualified to guess how much, if any that is noticable.

The pieces were written by me in my position as a niave member of "Joe Public" and to try and learn a bit about the processes and in turn stimulate discussion. There were a lot of unfounded allegations and rumours doing the rounds at the time so I approached my pieces with as open a mind as I could. I was able to back up some of the rumours, clarify a couple of others and dispel one or two.

One of my worries regarding Landfill (then and now) is that a number of potential sites were examined and only Archallegan was deemed suitable. It is/was being planned to use that site for 10 years, then what? Will the best unsuitable current site suddenly become suitable?

From what I learnt then, there should be little if any need to put Bottom Ash into landfill and if mixed with quarried stone would reduce the errosion of the countryside for aggregates. Discussions about landfill and Bottom Ash should be 2 seperate topics, but can not be due to the way DoLGE have progressed the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle schemes.

As has been said above and was included in my 2002 post, it is ridiculous to pay for quarrying and to pay for Ash disposal.

Is it ironic that I wrote those pieces in 2002 and here we are in 2006 and still no further on?

I can't say I've read through most of the stuff on here but I CAN assure you all that the APCR from the EfW site or as you lot call it 'The Incinerator' DOES go off island and is disposed of and treated properly.

Archived