Tobacco- Time for a re-think?

Barlow

BBCNews: New Zealand will ban the sale of tobacco to its next generation, in a bid to eventually phase out smoking.

Could the Isle of Man be so bold?

Or just ban it ASAP.

Maybe if our existing tobacco addicts had to try and illegally score their drug and scuttle home to imbibe in private, they would realise how ridiculous* cigarettes really are?

*also disgusting, filthy, smelly, needless, unhealthy, generally harmful etc

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Barlow said:

BBCNews: New Zealand will ban the sale of tobacco to its next generation, in a bid to eventually phase out smoking.

Could the Isle of Man be so bold?

Or just ban it ASAP.

Maybe if our existing tobacco addicts had to try and illegally score their drug and scuttle home to imbibe in private, they would realise how ridiculous* cigarettes really are?

*also disgusting, filthy, smelly, needless, unhealthy, generally harmful etc

I came up with a policy like this, but nobody listened obviously.  My version, I think, was anyone born after 2000 would not be able to buy fags.

10 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I came up with a policy like this, but nobody listened obviously.  My version, I think, was anyone born after 2000 would not be able to buy fags.

Interesting. Could you give further details. Maybe this could be an impetus for what you were proposing.

I said to my offspring at an early age that they were going to have to make their own informed decisions on what they do with their lives and I was not in a position to preach or enforce anything, with two simple exceptions and one of them was about drugs etc: never try tobacco.

10 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Which is?

On 22 November 2010, citizens of Singapore supported the Towards Tobacco-Free Singapore online campaign. The campaign promotes a proposal (which was published in the British medical journal Tobacco Control) to prevent the supply of tobacco to Singaporeans born from the year 2000 which would result in a gradual phasing-out of tobacco in Singapore. The launch was put forward by a team consisting of a lung cancer surgeon, medical officers, a university professor and a civil servant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

On 22 November 2010, citizens of Singapore supported the Towards Tobacco-Free Singapore online campaign. The campaign promotes a proposal (which was published in the British medical journal Tobacco Control) to prevent the supply of tobacco to Singaporeans born from the year 2000 which would result in a gradual phasing-out of tobacco in Singapore. The launch was put forward by a team consisting of a lung cancer surgeon, medical officers, a university professor and a civil servant.

No politicians involved??

It’s a sin vice and as a result IOMG like the taxes from it, whatever the viewpoint is. The same can be applied to fuel taxes and energy costs. I can’t see IOMG try and eliminate tobacco, they may as well ban alcohol as well, and petroleum and diesel. IOMG love the revenue too much.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It’s a sin vice and as a result IOMG like the taxes from it, whatever the viewpoint is. The same can be applied to fuel taxes and energy costs. I can’t see IOMG try and eliminate tobacco, they may as well ban alcohol as well, and petroleum and diesel. IOMG love the revenue too much.

Cost of health care, ICU etc for smokers? Some will cost more in healthcare than they have ever spent in cigarettes over their whole life, let alone the tax.

• Like 2