Tobacco- Time for a re-think?

Barlow

35 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It’s a sin vice and as a result IOMG like the taxes from it, whatever the viewpoint is. The same can be applied to fuel taxes and energy costs. I can’t see IOMG try and eliminate tobacco, they may as well ban alcohol as well, and petroleum and diesel. IOMG love the revenue too much.

There's the rub.

When Covid lockdowns were first starting, the NZ Government, including, Ardern, ministers, CEO's of departments etc. all took a 20% pay cut in solidarity to the millions left financially worse off by the pandemic.

At the time it was suggested the Manx Government do the same. They didn't.

As far as I can see the only reason they didn't follow NZ in that case was, in a word, greed. 

They won't follow this idea for the very same reason.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

It’s a sin vice and as a result IOMG like the taxes from it, whatever the viewpoint is. The same can be applied to fuel taxes and energy costs. I can’t see IOMG try and eliminate tobacco, they may as well ban alcohol as well, and petroleum and diesel. IOMG love the revenue too much.

Agreed, but they'll just find other things to tax, like our toilet tax but with a meter to measure use. 

3 hours ago, Barlow said:

Cost of health care, ICU etc for smokers? Some will cost more in healthcare than they have ever spent in cigarettes over their whole life, let alone the tax.

Some might, but I suspect in general that most smokers are net contributors to the service. Average smoker might spend about £3000 in tax per year, that’s £120k over their life before dropping down dead from a heart attack at 60. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Some might, but I suspect in general that most smokers are net contributors to the service. Average smoker might spend about £3000 in tax per year, that’s £120k over their life before dropping down dead from a heart attack at 60. 

Indeed, as as mentioned above leaving all that pension money for some chinless civil servant!

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, wrighty said:

That's a very clinical scenario. I like it. It should be compulsory.

How much does an overall trip to Broadgreen Cardio-thoracic centre cost? That £120,000 will soon get gobbled up.

Edited by Barlow

10 hours ago, WTF said:

what will governments put the duty up on, or invent to tax next to cover the loss of duty ?

Does it really matter? Surely no-one thinks smoking is anything but an anachronism that is dying out quite literally.

Just keep raising the duty above inflation year on year, keep imposing more restrictions on who can sell them.

Maybe introduce a tobacco license (like an alcohol license) that can be removed or suspended if proven they sold to anyone underage.

Start restricting nicotene content, start going after some of the additives they use to make tobacco burn better if they can be connected to adverse health outcomes.

Death of a thousand cuts.

In Great Britain, 2015 saw the highest proportion of quitters in over 40 years.

• Thanks 1