Tobacco- Time for a re-think?

Barlow

The  argument about smokers and their tax contribution v their personal cost the Health Service was satirized many, many years ago:

Proud of the revenue paid on his tobacco, a fuming Alf Garnett  takes his pipe from  in his “ marth”, stands straight  to attention to assert, 

“Listen,  ma son,  Oi am smokin’  for ENGland!”

Edited by hampsterkahn
  • Like 1

What a lovely puritanical world we're building.

All of you anti-smokers probably enjoy a drink or two. How about we ban the sale of alcohol next? Then sex before marriage. 

I'm glad I'm getting too old for this Brave New World to affect my choices.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

What a lovely puritanical world we're building.

All of you anti-smokers probably enjoy a drink or two. How about we ban the sale of alcohol next? Then sex before marriage. 

I'm glad I'm getting too old for this Brave New World to affect my choices.

So what is your stance on other drugs then? If you are pro-smoker, how about pro-heroine or pro-cocaine? What about glue sniffing?

Why not lower the age for alcohol to 16, after all they old enough to drive and vote, why not drink too? 

What are the benefits of smoking?

1 minute ago, CallMeCurious said:

So what is your stance on other drugs then? If you are pro-smoker, how about pro-heroine or pro-cocaine? What about glue sniffing?

Why not lower the age for alcohol to 16, after all they old enough to drive and vote, why not drink too? 

There don't need to be benefits of smoking to oppose criminalisation of private individuals for something that should be a private decision.

Other drugs should be decriminalised too, for possession and personal use. And should have similar levels of support available as stop-smoking and stop-drinking campaigns/treatments have.

And if you don't care about the immorality of making it illegal, it also straight up doesn't work. Prohibition anyone? War on drugs? Not exactly famously successful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CallMeCurious said:

That's fair. There's a difference between being pro-smoking (I think for the most part it's a horrid habit and wish I'd not spent 40 years doing it) and wanting to impose my will on others 'for their own good'. I'd raise the age of everything (including voting) to 18.

3 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

That's fair. There's a difference between being pro-smoking (I think for the most part it's a horrid habit and wish I'd not spent 40 years doing it) and wanting to impose my will on others 'for their own good'. I'd raise the age of everything (including voting) to 18.

that reminds of the Benny Hill quote 

“Have you noticed that all the people in favour of birth control are already born?”

so now you're over 18 you think all of lifes vices should be limited to over 18's ?

i suspect when people were fucking, drinking and smoking before they were supposed to they had a different idea about things.

42 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

.. wanting to impose my will on others 'for their own good'. 

..for the good of society.

Thou's an MHK now, you have to try and look at matters from a whole new angle.

Edited by Barlow

I hate smoking with a passion. Lost my mum to it , smoked all her life , and lost someone who I was to marry , who had smoked in her earlier life , all to cancer related issues brought on by smoking. Its left a lasting hatred to it and even vaping leaves me cold as the association is enough. Hate when in town and you get prats blowing out big clouds of vaping smoke as they walk by. And people standing outside shops 'enjoying' their habit again leaves me asking why , just why!. However I understand how difficult it is to quit for many , some dont make a big enough effort mind , so will never want to impose my own thoughts on others. I guess if someone wants to probably speed up the death by doing it crack on. Just try not to affect me along the way. To this day sadly I cant date a female who smokes and that stance I'm not proud off but I just cant help the strong feeling it brings to the for. And yes I drink be it moderately but passive drinking last time I looked never really hurt anyone while passive smoking clearly has. Roy Castle anyone !? 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Barlow said:

..for the good of society.

Thou's an MHK now, you have to try and look at matters from a whole new angle.

Oh I do. I do lateral thinking, but I'm getting a sore neck.

On 12/9/2021 at 12:20 PM, Barlow said:

Could the Isle of Man be so bold?

Or just ban it ASAP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tobacco_movement_in_Nazi_Germany

Maybe if our existing tobacco addicts had to try and illegally score their drug and scuttle home to imbibe in private, they would realise how ridiculous* cigarettes really are?

As long as you apply the same logic to alcohol.

disgusting, filthy, smelly, needless, unhealthy, generally harmful

Is that smoking or your business card?

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2021 at 12:38 PM, wrighty said:

I came up with a policy like this, but nobody listened obviously.  My version, I think, was anyone born after 2000 would not be able to buy fags.

UK gov beat you to it - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/630217/Towards_a_Smoke_free_Generation_-_A_Tobacco_Control_Plan_for_England_2017-2022__2_.pdf

This is already in the pipeline (as is eating insects and monthly vaccinations).

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

And yes I drink be it moderately but passive drinking last time I looked never really hurt anyone while passive smoking clearly has.

Perhaps you should look at the relationship between alcohol and domestic abuse/violence, or equally the statistics relating to drink driving, sexual assault, violent assault etc and the relationship to alcohol. The idea that one person's alcohol consumption cannot harm another person is a bit naive

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1