Tobacco- Time for a re-think?

Barlow

2 hours ago, Newbie said:

Perhaps you should look at the relationship between alcohol and domestic abuse/violence, or equally the statistics relating to drink driving, sexual assault, violent assault etc and the relationship to alcohol. The idea that one person's alcohol consumption cannot harm another person is a bit naive

I was giving my opinion and I have never done any of those things. But agree for many it can be a trigger 

8 hours ago, Lagman said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tobacco_movement_in_Nazi_Germany

As long as you apply the same logic to alcohol.

Is that smoking or your business card?

Thank you for that link. That is interesting.

It might explain a reason why most of the Germans I know smoke - as a kind of defiance against Hitler and his mates. What better way to contemplate the nastiness of the Nazi regime than whilst having a cigarette*.

I think many people start smoking as kids in defiance to authority anyway. I did, as a kid at school.

I will probably have my IP traced and the thought police banging at my door for this but, weren't the Nazis probably right on this one particular policy?

ETA: from the wiki

Ciggy.jpg.62ed6fc3f2bf652cc66ca777015be679.jpg

Edited by Barlow

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

... weren't the Nazis probably right on this one particular policy?

Probably, but it was a bit rich considering the general distribution of Methamphetamine, Morphine, Heroin, Barbiturates, Cannabis in its various forms, were all available over-the-counter to those who could afford it. Berlin being the clearing-centre for most of the Cocaine consumed by Europeans at that time. As much Coke passed through that city, pre-war, as it does today...

• Like 2

That whole wiki article is good, this:

(TLDR warning)

After World War II[edit source]

After the collapse of Nazi Germany at the end of World War II, illegal smuggling of tobacco became prevalent,[78] and the anti-smoking campaign started by the Nazis ceased to exist after the fall of the Third Reich.[14] In 1949, approximately 400 million cigarettes manufactured in the United States entered Germany illegally every month. In 1954, nearly two billion Swiss cigarettes were smuggled into Germany and Italy. As part of the Marshall Plan, the United States paid to send tobacco to Germany free of charge; the amount of tobacco shipped into Germany in 1948 was 24,000 tons and was as high as 69,000 tons in 1949. Post-war consumption in Germany remained initially low, due to poverty.[1] Per capita yearly cigarette consumption in post-war Germany steadily rose from 460 in 1950 to 1,523 in 1963.

Nazi-related rhetoric associating anti-smoking measures with fascism has been fairly widely used in nicotine marketing[9] (except in Germany, where such comparisons have brought strong reactions).[10] Historical research has been quoted in a selective manner, which has been criticized by the quoted historians.[9] In the early 21st century, this Nazi rhetoric may be being supplanted by Taliban-related rhetoric associating anti-smoking measures with theocracy.[10]

It has been argued that the Nazi anti-tobacco campaigns delayed effective nicotine addiction reduction measures by decades.[8] At the end of the 20th century, the anti-tobacco campaign in Germany was unable to approach the level of the Nazi-era climax in the years 1939–41, and German tobacco health research was described by Robert N. Proctor as "muted".[20] Modern Germany has some of Europe's least restrictive tobacco control policies,[8] and more Germans both smoke and die of it in consequence,[79][80] which also leads to higher public health costs.[68]

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I lost my mom to lung cancer many years ago. She’d smoked 20 embassy a day until her late 50 by which time her smoker’s cough forced her to give up.

when we gathered for the solemn announcement of her terminal cancer diagnosis a few years later all I could think was “well what did you expect?”

I didn’t shed any tears, she wasn’t a victim but the author of her own misfortune. In TT speak it’s called dying doing what you loved best.

• Like 2

There might be some viewers, sat at home struggling, not a fucking fingernail left on either hand because they're attempting to quit and will thus be triggered by the sight of somebody enjoying a fag.

Or maybe a suggestible individual might think "that looks like cool" and rush out and buy 20.

It's all bollocks innit...

On 12/10/2021 at 1:45 PM, Stu Peters said:

That's fair. There's a difference between being pro-smoking (I think for the most part it's a horrid habit and wish I'd not spent 40 years doing it) and wanting to impose my will on others 'for their own good'. I'd raise the age of everything (including voting) to 18.

Have to raise it to about 75 if you expect to be re-elected

• Haha 4

I gave up having the odd fag years ago and do not bother if I smell smoke or see someone smoking but if I see someone enjoying a drink on the telly it does make me think I may just have one , sometimes I do , sometimes I don’t, I don’t have a problem but often wonder how it affects people who have.  Same thing goes for snacking I guess.

13 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I gave up having the odd fag years ago and do not bother if I smell smoke or see someone smoking but if I see someone enjoying a drink on the telly it does make me think I may just have one , sometimes I do , sometimes I don’t, I don’t have a problem but often wonder how it affects people who have.  Same thing goes for snacking I guess.

I know exactly what you mean. 

It’s awful if you’re watching television and a scene which features masturbation is being shown. Especially if you are in someone else’s house at the time

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

My election still has you frothing at the mouth after all this time? I do hope so...

Since you have no power or real ability to do anything, it doesn't make me froth at the mouth; it does disappoint me slightly that the voters did not choose someone with originality and vision to work with others to effect positive change, but instead elected a political irrelevance. 

26 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

Since you have no power or real ability to do anything, it doesn't make me froth at the mouth; it does disappoint me slightly that the voters did not choose someone with originality and vision to work with others to effect positive change, but instead elected a political irrelevance. 

You talk some crap 💩 

• Haha 1