Mannin Line Today

hissingsid

That doesn’t preclude the relevant court or tribunal from asking the question, to find out if you have actually been discriminated against on disability grounds, or not

8 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Yes, businesses can refuse service, but for the reasons John has already mentioned it would amount to discrimination and would be pretty foolish. Bus vannin has just been down this route for refusing mobility scooters and it was settled out of court on discrimination grounds.

No, crucially it only says ‘health’ as an exemption and it doesn’t state whether Physical or Mental health, Mental health particularly is like opening a can of worms and also very difficult to disprove.

8 hours ago, James Blonde said:

The literal wording of it says you cannot be questioned on it. What else is there to discuss?

On 12/15/2021 at 12:47 PM, Bazza Smurf said:

I wouldn't need a CV. That's for sure. They know exactly who I am. 😄

Funnily enough, I was turned down for Head of Operations in 2016. After a call from Work Permits (IL wanted a crony from Liverpool), it was apparent that NB and IL felt that my appointment would create some friction with management over purchasing. Fair cop, that's exactly why I applied for it.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Classic Howard today. I wasn't going to call today Andy but I was heading down south and I saw a branch on the side of the road and just had to call.

Quality radio as ever 

Bless Howard (not the Quayle one), he has an opinion on everything. Sometimes he is way off beam, but he cares and that is important.  More people need to care, they don't necessarily have to be right. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Anyone who is thinking about moving here to open any sort of business these days just needs to listen to any of the call to the show to hear what sort of telecommunications infrastructure we have.

Telecommunications today is mostly about connectivity - most people I know seldom talk on the telephone. Business is on Teams and Zoom.

So really it's about broadband - and the island has excellent broadband. Especially compared with almost all other rural areas - in both the UK and on the European mainland.

And when there is a problem you can easily get through to a real person.

Much of the UK has terrible broadband and hugely frustrating customer service. We maybe pay slightly more - but it's a vastly better service here.

Edited by pongo

21 minutes ago, pongo said:

Much of the UK has terrible broadband and hugely frustrating customer service. We maybe pay slightly more - but it's a vastly better service here.

You may be close to a local Telco seeing as you seem to define 'slighty more' as up to several times more but most people do not! Our copper and fibre broadband prices have always been, and remain today, wholly extortionate. 

And In case you think of trotting out the pathetic MT classic type of soundbites about 'economies of scale across' please don't insult our intelligence! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pongo said:

Telecommunications today is mostly about connectivity - most people I know seldom talk on the telephone. Business is on Teams and Zoom.

So really it's about broadband - and the island has excellent broadband. Especially compared with almost all other rural areas - in both the UK and on the European mainland.

And when there is a problem you can easily get through to a real person.

I live in a rural part of the Island and I can tell you the broadband here is bloody awful. But I have been promised I will get a service nearly as good as everyone else in 2024. That's good then.

12 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

People are praising the fibre broadband but MT seems shy about the cost I think for the money we pay for our broadband and the unsatisfactory service fibre should come with the deal not an added extra to make a crap service fit for purpose.

And when that's all rolled out they'll wind back your speed to force you into the more expensive next new thing!

• Like 1

50% of my street now run on fibre. As the number of people using fibre has increased, the quality of my broadband has decreased dramatically. Can't get xhamster in the back bedroom anymore for starters.

Is fibre and broadband distributed from the same box, giving the fibre feed priority?

• Haha 1