Mannin Line Today

hissingsid

45 minutes ago, quilp said:

There you go, he did admit he'd a 13 year gap of contributions.

I hate to say this, but Covid has thrown up quite a few areas where if a firmer approach had been taken, more people would be on a more even keel.

I could give you an example, but I don't want to be specific.  However, they phone or visit their GP every now and then and get a further sign off, despite their professed infirmity preventing them doing stuff being completely different to the one being the reason for the sign off.  Yet, the reason for the sign off would be mitigated if the issue was addressed, like getting out and about.

Sure, they are related, inevitably, but what is happening is a kind of disastrous logic which goes " I can't do X because I have Y, even though X would help Z which is the thing I am signed off for." 

It is bothering, and actually little help. 

2 hours ago, Raffles said:

Regarding the Mannin Line, yes it was tragic today. Boring Barry and Joker Julian. 

Barry needs to get disposable masks in his taxi. It's not surprising that people dont realise masks are required in taxis and they are probably kicking off because they dont have any masks on them.

Thanks. I am boring Barry. Must try harder. Regulations have been brought in, possibly forever because I cannot see any reason to think differently in anything I've read and you think it's boring that with the prospect that I might have to wear a mask by law for the next 20 years it's boring to raise a question when emailing political representatives gets me nowhere? 

This mask mandate effects everyone that uses public transport. I mean everyone. The mandate itself was silently hushed in, no consultation, no information to the trade about what the regulations were, let alone regarding exemptions. The Police have stopped taxis, they are watching the ranks. I am trying to make a living whilst at the same time am pretty pissed that I am now legally obliged to wear a mask as are the passengers, as opposed to advised. The same passengers that have mostly been in the bars and partying all night.  You don't think that infringement on my freedom or indeed the passengers that they NOW must wear a mask is worth bringing to the attention of the nation. Good Lord, I thought this was a forum of people who were not Government ass lickers. 

Same old thing isn't it! Nobody gives a damn until it affects them. PS I'm far from boring...if you know me (which you likely don't)!. 

Edited by Bazza Smurf
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The most boring Mannin Line  I have ever listened to and that is saying a lot.  Firstly we had Julian on , antivaxer, believer of the internet etc quoting figures and Sweden’s way of dealing with Covid , constantly repeating himself fora good 15 minutes and then Barry the taxi driver on about people and drivers masking up in taxis, again repeating himself again and again.   Apparently the government did not consult with the taxi drivers before issuing this edict, what absolute bullshit.   I do appreciate that it may be a hassle getting a load of drunks t mask up on a Saturday night but surely when they book a taxi the operator could inform the customers they must wear a mask.   Shoprite have someone on the  door handing out masks to people who have forgotten theirs that is being proactive.   Surely a box of single use masks to give to clients who have not got one is not a biggy.   He went on for about 10 minutes .  I fear Andy Wint is looking his grip.

Firstly not everyone wants to wear a mask. Secondly I work ranks. No base. Thirdly it's not my job to support the Government in their lip service mandating of masks to drunks that haven't wore one all night and fourth I'm not handing out masks all night long. I don't get paid enough. Fifth masks in shops are recommended. In taxis and other public transport they are mandatory backed by regulations and supported by Police and possibly forever...not just for covid. 

Apologies if you cannot see this is a fairly big issue. Maybe you are the one losing your grip. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, emesde said:

Surely if the passengers have been out in bars, mixing and drinking, it makes sense for your added safety for all in a small enclosed area to be wearing masks. I cannot see why you would object.                                

Because I like the choice. I had a choice...now I don't have one. It's mandatory, before it was advised. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pongo said:

Why not just require proper taxis with a screen separating the driver from the passengers?

That's the point I'm trying to make. There was no consultation. Give us options at least. 

I am aware that I stutter and am very nervous on radio. All I try to do is start a debate when those that should have started the debate (Cabinet Office) didn't. 

I am not convinced there was a need for the heavy handed mandate of masks. Maybe there was, I'm only giving an opinion. I didn't want to upset people by phoning a talk show. I am just annoyed with the way it happened and the effects of trying to work with it. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Because I like the choice. I had a choice...now I don't have one. It's mandatory, before it was advised. 

I used to have a choice about wearing one if I caught a bus. Now I don't have a choice. I don't intend to stop and argue the point at every opportunity. I'll put a mask on. It's not really an issue. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Thanks. I am boring Barry. Must try harder. 

Sorry Barry. I was only being flippant. 

I do agree there should have been contact with the industry and it's not right that you're put in this position. 

I have just scanned the regulations which state that the operator must inform passengers about the requirement for face coverings. The onus seems to be on the passengers, so if they don't don a face covering it is their lookout. If the police are keeping an eye on taxi ranks and stopping taxis, I'd suggest putting up a sign in your taxi so it's clear masks are a legal requirement. Have they been spot fining the passengers or taking further action?

Also interesting that the regulations and guidelines are clear that people who are exempt do not have to prove it. They can apply for an exemption card to make their own lives easier, but they're not required to. So if you tell them masks are mandatory, and they say they're exempt, you can accept that and carry on.