Mannin Line Today

hissingsid

1 minute ago, Raffles said:

Also interesting that the regulations and guidelines are clear that people who are exempt do not have to prove it. They can apply for an exemption card to make their own lives easier, but they're not required to. So if you tell them masks are mandatory, and they say they're exempt, you can accept that and carry on.

So, what is the point?  If you can just shout "exempt", then get in, why even require mask? 

Just now, Gladys said:

So, what is the point?  If you can just shout "exempt", then get in, why even require mask? 

This is the point that most don't seem to be getting. The rules are only there for people who like rules to follow and Alfy has been clear about that. Outside of health settings, food shopping and buses (and they didn't really mean to bring in the taxis but people moaned) which are essential services its entirely optional what you do and it certainly isn't being enforced at all. People are doing it anyway and where it is being enforced its largely being enforced by jobsworths who have had a little bit of power handed back to them. Alf didn't even bother doing a conference today because he isn't going to be pressured into doing things by the alarmists anymore. The penny clearly hasn't dropped yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gloverlover said:

This is the point that most don't seem to be getting. The rules are only there for people who like rules to follow and Alfy has been clear about that. Outside of health settings, food shopping and buses (and they didn't really mean to bring in the taxis but people moaned) which are essential services its entirely optional what you do and it certainly isn't being enforced at all. People are doing it anyway and where it is being enforced its largely being enforced by jobsworths who have had a little bit of power handed back to them. Alf didn't even bother doing a conference today because he isn't going to be pressured into doing things by the alarmists anymore. The penny clearly hasn't dropped yet.

That's so true, it is tokenism outside of health settings tbh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

That's so true, it is tokenism outside of health settings tbh. 

Alf's flat refusal to do a conference today said it all. He doesn't care how many people kick off anymore as they are not going to bow to peer pressure to bring in rules that outside of certain settings simply aren't needed. The cost to peoples jobs and mental health is too great and they simply don't have the money to bail even more people out for months on end.

25 minutes ago, emesde said:

I used to have a choice about wearing one if I caught a bus. Now I don't have a choice. I don't intend to stop and argue the point at every opportunity. I'll put a mask on. It's not really an issue. 

Difference is you only wear it for the journey on the bus. I work a cab at least 50 hours a week so I might be wearing the sweaty masks half that time. 

4 hours ago, quilp said:

Taxi driver I know hates the mask-wearing. After the last lockdown he lost his income. He told me that he does an LFT every day but added that, because of losing his wage last time, if he tests positive with an LFT he's not going to isolate nor take a PCR test. I asked him whether, in that case, why do the LFT's every day and his reply was "so I know."

Make of that what you 

7 hours ago, hissingsid said:

and then Barry the taxi driver on about people and drivers masking up in taxis, again repeating himself again and again.   Apparently the government did not consult with the taxi drivers before issuing this edict, what absolute bullshit.   I do appreciate that it may be a hassle getting a load of drunks t mask up on a Saturday night but surely when they book a taxi the operator could inform the customers they must wear a mask

I've seen taxi drivers kick someone out at the rank before because they asked to go via McDonald's, so I'm sure they can tell someone to get out if they dint have a mask (or simply give them one, after all they don't cost a huge amount!)

34 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Because I like the choice. I had a choice...now I don't have one. It's mandatory, before it was advised. 

You have a choice...go and stack shelves somewhere if you're not happy. No doubt you won't be happy there either because you'd have to wear a mask and you (the royale you, as in taxi drivers) can't moan to people about how bad the government is whilst they are paying your wage (8/10 taxis I have end up with the driver moaning at me about some shite I couldn't care about) 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, gloverlover said:

Alf's flat refusal to do a conference today said it all. He doesn't care how many people kick off anymore as they are not going to bow to peer pressure to bring in rules that outside of certain settings simply aren't needed. 

Bring back Howie. 

He loved his briefings 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hooly said:

I've seen taxi drivers kick someone out at the rank before because they asked to go via McDonald's, so I'm sure they can tell someone to get out if they dint have a mask (or simply give them one, after all they don't cost a huge amount!)

You have a choice...go and stack shelves somewhere if you're not happy. No doubt you won't be happy there either because you'd have to wear a mask and you (the royale you, as in taxi drivers) can't moan to people about how bad the government is whilst they are paying your wage (8/10 taxis I have end up with the driver moaning at me about some shite I couldn't care about) 

Pointless even communicating with people like you. Masks in shops are NOT mandatory. Do you not understand that. They are temporary and only advised. They ARE mandatory in public transport. I opened a debate, that's it. If you cannot understand that, I'm sorry for you. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Raffles said:

The government guidance even has a template for an exemption card that you simply download and complete yourself. If you want to. But it's certainly not required and you dont have to show anything to prove exemption. 😷

https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/guidance-on-face-coverings/#when

May as well just get a marigold lanyard. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gloverlover said:

Alf's flat refusal to do a conference today said it all. He doesn't care how many people kick off anymore as they are not going to bow to peer pressure to bring in rules that outside of certain settings simply aren't needed. The cost to peoples jobs and mental health is too great and they simply don't have the money to bail even more people out for months on end.

And to an extent, I agree.  The extent ends where there is doubt and possible legal repercussions.

Just now, Gladys said:

And to an extent, I agree.  The extent ends where there is doubt and possible legal repercussions.

They clearly have absolutely no intention of policing any of it. That much is clear. So Barry is right to be concerned but they have no intention of fining or penalising anyone. Even some of their own bus drivers aren't wearing masks and nothing has been said or done and they work for IOMG.

• Like 1

They clearly have absolutely no intention of policing any of it. That much is clear. So Barry is right to be concerned but they have no intention of fining or penalising anyone. Even some of their own bus drivers aren't wearing masks and nothing has been said or done and they work for IOMG.

So why are the police checking taxis as said by Bazza?

Glover you seem like a sensible sort. I only rang the Mannin Line to raise a conversation that I feel some form of consultation should have been entered into before MANDATING mask wearing. I really believe that. There wasn't even a readily available link to the shiny new regulations. 

I don't do things like this for my own benefit. It's similar to my dispute with the gas company and the Government since 2015. I do these things to push a debate that some things Government do (or don't do in this case) are unacceptable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1